Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GarageBand 10.2 full screen error with external 4k display

Hi all

I have just updated GarageBand to version 10.2, the new 'modern look' version.

I am using a MacBook Air 11-inch connected to an Dell 4k external monitor (actual resolution 3840 × 2160, with display settings as 'looks like 1080 x 1920'). The problem is when I put GB into full screen. Normally this works ok and with the large display I get more screen space and the retina experience like a retina iMac.

However since updating to GB 10.2, it won't go into proper full screen mode. It seems to stay as a smaller display size of roughly 768 x 1366 (or something like that), but in retina/HiDPI mode, and with the rest of the large 4k display filled in with black around it.

See the attached screenshot from my monitor and which is 3840 x 2160 pixels in size. You can see GB not going into proper full screen and the rest of the screen is filled in with black.

Why is this happening? It never did this with GB 10.1 an earlier.

The only way I can use my monitor's full 4k display with GB 10.2 is to be in non-full screen mode, i.e. GB on the desktop then drag the edges of the GB window to fill the whole screen. This is a work-around - but when I unplug my monitor then GB is too large for my MacBook Air's small display and I have to resize the edges of the app to make it smaller again, in other words it doesn't resize itself properly when going between the large and smaller displays. With GB 10.1 and earlier I could be in full screen mode and easily move full screen GB between the two displays and it would always resize itself correctly.

I haven't yet updated Logic Pro X to the modern look yet - I'm wondering if the same problem will occur.

My specs are below. I can't see that my Mac and display hardware are at fault as such, it must be a quirk with GB. Lastly I should add that other Apple apps work fine in full screen mode with my Dell 4k display. So it must be GB (and potentially Logic Pro X).

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

(OS X El Capitan 10.11.6, MacBook Air 11-inch Early 2015, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel HS Graphics 6000 1536 MB; Dell P2715Q external display, 3840 × 2160 resolution)

User uploaded file

Posted on Jul 18, 2017 10:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2017 7:35 AM

Hi TruthSayer2016

Thanks. I just tried deleting and reinstalling GB. No change, the problem still persists. I have tried display preference changes, mirroring displays, nothing works. I reduced the resolution of the external monitor to 'looks like 1504 x 846' (actual pixels still 3840 x 2160), and this helps a little - but only by reducing the black-space around the edges. GB fills the display more but the controls and buttons are large and chunky. Not really a solution.

I have tried disconnecting my external display and I am experiencing some problems with GB just using my MacBook Air. Full screen works of course, however 'split screen' behaves a little strangely. Below is a pic of split screen: GB and another app. Firstly, I can't drag the split point. Secondly, when I exit split screen, which exits full screen mode in GB, then put GB into full screen, I am getting what is shown in the second picture. The only way to stop this is to restart GB and avoid using split screen. (Note that this behaviour only occurs when entering split screen from the desktop: click and hold the green button until GB goes into split mode and then select a second app to fill the right half of the screen). I can't say I normally use split screen with GB, however I think both problems are linked.

So I have confirmed that GB 10.2 has these bugs... (1) fullscreen not working correctly with an external hi-res 4k display, and (2) on a Macbook (Air) display only: split screen mode activated from the desktop causing subsequent full screen failure.

Can anyone else replicate this problem?

When I get a moment I will file a bug report with Apple.

Thanks.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2017 7:35 AM in response to TruthSayer2016

Hi TruthSayer2016

Thanks. I just tried deleting and reinstalling GB. No change, the problem still persists. I have tried display preference changes, mirroring displays, nothing works. I reduced the resolution of the external monitor to 'looks like 1504 x 846' (actual pixels still 3840 x 2160), and this helps a little - but only by reducing the black-space around the edges. GB fills the display more but the controls and buttons are large and chunky. Not really a solution.

I have tried disconnecting my external display and I am experiencing some problems with GB just using my MacBook Air. Full screen works of course, however 'split screen' behaves a little strangely. Below is a pic of split screen: GB and another app. Firstly, I can't drag the split point. Secondly, when I exit split screen, which exits full screen mode in GB, then put GB into full screen, I am getting what is shown in the second picture. The only way to stop this is to restart GB and avoid using split screen. (Note that this behaviour only occurs when entering split screen from the desktop: click and hold the green button until GB goes into split mode and then select a second app to fill the right half of the screen). I can't say I normally use split screen with GB, however I think both problems are linked.

So I have confirmed that GB 10.2 has these bugs... (1) fullscreen not working correctly with an external hi-res 4k display, and (2) on a Macbook (Air) display only: split screen mode activated from the desktop causing subsequent full screen failure.

Can anyone else replicate this problem?

When I get a moment I will file a bug report with Apple.

Thanks.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

GarageBand 10.2 full screen error with external 4k display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.