Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Embed meta data to file in Photos

Is there a way to embed the meta data (such as key words, location info etc) into the master files using Apple Photos? Are there Photos extensions which are able to do this?

I would like to be able to future proof my images so if I ever decide I wish to move from Photos to another organiser, it is a little less painful than having to re-do all the tagging.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Jul 18, 2017 10:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2017 12:36 AM

Several things

1 - no there is no way to modify the originals using Photos - that is one of the most basic designs of Photos - the original is the original and remains unmodified

2 - Referenced originals are not well supported by Photos and are not recommended - Disadvantages of a Referenced Library in Photos

3 - your questions indicate that you probably are using the wrong photo management system and should either reconsider your requirements or change to software that works like you prefer - Photos is not a good fit

LN

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2017 12:36 AM in response to Pusstex

Several things

1 - no there is no way to modify the originals using Photos - that is one of the most basic designs of Photos - the original is the original and remains unmodified

2 - Referenced originals are not well supported by Photos and are not recommended - Disadvantages of a Referenced Library in Photos

3 - your questions indicate that you probably are using the wrong photo management system and should either reconsider your requirements or change to software that works like you prefer - Photos is not a good fit

LN

Jul 19, 2017 12:04 AM in response to LarryHN

Thanks Larry,

I believe you are correct: Photos is not the right management tool for me, hence my asking about the embedding of the metadata, thus making the move to a new one that much easier.... Aperture had an embed metadata function. Shame there is not a similar function in Photos. I shall suggest this to Apple as it could be quite useful...

Jul 19, 2017 12:36 AM in response to Pusstex

Photos is a giveaway app. It doesn't have the kinds of capabilities that you're asking about. I'm tempted to say the asking that question probably means you're not really the target user for the app. I also strongly agree with Larry about the perils of a referenced Library.

BTW:

I manage my Photos as referenced files in Photos so exporting seems like an unnecessary ste

If you move to another app, then it would seem like you're thinking of only moving the unedited originals, yes? So you'll lose any other work you've done - editing in particular?

Jul 19, 2017 12:13 AM in response to Yer_Man

Hi Terence,

Yes, I don't mind losing any edits made on the photos (I have exports of the ones I need). However, losing tags, people and location edits would be a massive undertaking to re-do... I was hoping there would be some Photos extension or script which might be able to assist in taking this data and embedding it in the original file to minimise the extra work needed when switching to a more functional image organiser.

I've sent Apple a feature request, but won't be holding out any hopes :-)

Jul 19, 2017 2:50 AM in response to Pusstex

I may have a work around... Photos does allow you to export the unmodified files along with an XMP file

I simply keep the exported originals paired with the XMP sidecar files. And do not modify the the originals further.in another app. That may change the creation date and file size and other apps may no longer recognise the file as a duplicate of the original version. The sidecar file will suffice, if I want to import the original into other apps, that understand XMP files. And it is easy to read the XMP file with TextEdit or Xcode.

Embed meta data to file in Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.