Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Software update keeps prompting to update even after the latest version is installed on Windows 10

I have iTunes 12.6.2.20 installed and working; however Apple Software Update keeps prompting me to update to this same version any time ASU runs. This same thing was also happening when 12.6.1 was current. This is on Windows 10. Any ideas? Is there a reg key or config file that keeps track of the version installed? I have already done a complete un-install and re-install of iTunes.User uploaded file

Windows 10, null

Posted on Jul 19, 2017 3:14 PM

7 replies

Jul 20, 2017 9:16 AM in response to HelloVG

Did you reinstall after deleting iTunes following these steps? They have to be followed in order:

Remove iTunes and its related components from the Control Panel

Use the Control Panel to uninstall iTunes and related software components in the following order:

1. iTunes
  2. Apple Software Update
  3. Apple Mobile Device Support
  4. Bonjour
  5. Apple Application Support 32-bit
  6. Apple Application Support 64-bit

Jul 20, 2017 1:50 PM in response to HelloVG

Try right-clicking on the iTunes and or Apple Software Update icons in your start menu and then use Run as administrator. It might change the behaviour. Apple change the way that iTunes stored some private data a few build back and in some cases folder permissions have affected that. A similar issue might arise with ASU, though I haven't so far tracked down which folders might be used.

tt2

Jul 22, 2017 8:44 AM in response to HelloVG

Apple software for Windows makes less use of the registry than normal. I've had a poke around and it seems C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Local\Apple\Apple Software Update is where ASU might store settings, but I only have an empty DistCache folder inside. The downloaded installers for the various components appear to end up in C:\ProgramData\Apple\Installer Cache and C:\ProgramData\Apple Computer\Installer Cache. Perhaps if ASU cannot move/copy files into this folder it attempts to download them again. Perhaps a full tear down of iTunes, deleting the two Installer Cache folders, then running the downloaded 12.6.2.20 setup file as administrator will resolve things.

tt2

Apple Software update keeps prompting to update even after the latest version is installed on Windows 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.