Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to access library in garageband?

(iMac Sierra 10.12.5, plenty of memory) I just did Library Reinstall, successfully. At library/application support/Garage Band/instrument library I now have 3.31 Gigbytes of data, presumably instrument sounds. But under new track / search "library" it has very few choices. How do I get the reinstalled library to a place where I can access it?

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.1.x)

Posted on Jul 20, 2017 3:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2017 11:25 AM

(iMac Sierra 10.12.5, plenty of memory) I just did Library Reinstall, successfully.

Do you mean, you used the command "GarageBand > Soundlibrary > Reinstall Sound Library"?

I now have 3.31 Gigbytes of data, presumably instrument sounds

3.3.1 is GB is just the basic set. You will not see many sounds, when you select a software instrument track. To get the full set, use also "GarageBand > Soundlibrary > Download all available sounds".

To be sure, that GarageBand will see the new installed sounds, I'd also restart the Mac.

The sounds should appear in the the /Library folder at the top level of your System drive:

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2017 11:25 AM in response to Fsharpminor

(iMac Sierra 10.12.5, plenty of memory) I just did Library Reinstall, successfully.

Do you mean, you used the command "GarageBand > Soundlibrary > Reinstall Sound Library"?

I now have 3.31 Gigbytes of data, presumably instrument sounds

3.3.1 is GB is just the basic set. You will not see many sounds, when you select a software instrument track. To get the full set, use also "GarageBand > Soundlibrary > Download all available sounds".

To be sure, that GarageBand will see the new installed sounds, I'd also restart the Mac.

The sounds should appear in the the /Library folder at the top level of your System drive:

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/

Sep 4, 2017 5:26 AM in response to Fsharpminor

Hello Fsharpminor,

Thanks for that info and choosing the Apple Support Communities. If I understand correctly, you are unable to access the instrument library in GarageBand on your Mac, even though there are files in the folder if you access the folder with Finder. To help with this issue, you may have to redownload the additional sounds and loops or reinstall the Sound Library. If your issue still isn't resolved, please reinstall the GarageBand app using the Mac App Store.

Missing sounds, instruments, and loops in GarageBand 10 or Logic Pro X
GarageBand for Mac: Download additional sounds and loops
macOS Sierra: Reinstall apps that came with your Mac

Cheers!

how to access library in garageband?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.