Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you upgrade your iPad first gen for iOS 9

?

Posted on Jul 20, 2017 5:44 PM

3 replies

Jul 20, 2017 9:08 PM in response to Meeeeeeey

iOS 5.1.1 is the highest iOS your 2010, 1st gen iPad can go.

The 1st generation iPad was, more or less, an early adopter model iPad.

It was underpowered with only 256 MBs of RAM and NO cameras for image/video shooting or FaceTime calling.

If you need apps for that iPad, you can try to download the latest app from the iOS App Store and if the developer has left an older, compatible version on Apple's app servers, then you will receive a small window pop-up prompt that states that there is an older version of the app that is compatible with your device. Would you like to download this version now.

Tap the OK button just below the prompt.

FYI,

Not every app you attempt to download will have an iOS 5.1.1 compatible version. For older apps that may still have an older iOS version available, the lowest compatible iOS version of an app is iOS 4.2.1.

The search for iOS 5.1.1 compatible apps will be trial and error, but they are out there.

My 2010, iPad 1 has over 100 apps on it that are still functioning, but older versions of apps that I currently run on my newer iPad models.

This website may help you locate the apps you can use with your original iPad 1

http://findoldapps.com/us/any_category/5.1.1/ipad/updated_date/desc/30/1

Good Luck!

Can you upgrade your iPad first gen for iOS 9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.