Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stuck at login screen

Hello,

I have a problem. My iMac always getting stuck in the login screen, meaning I can’t move my mouse or use my keyboard.

I ran the diagnostic tool and there are no problems. Mouse and Keyboard functioned there. But as soon as I go into the login screen, I can’t do anything from there.

Any advice?

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Jul 22, 2017 1:36 PM

5 replies

Jul 22, 2017 1:42 PM in response to Sonbart

The machine is new and in warranty. Make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service. If you need to find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple. Or use your free telephone support to contact Apple Support.

Possible Fixes for El Capitan or Later

[You should try each, one at a time, then test to see if the problem is fixed before going on to the next.]

Be sure to backup your files before proceeding if possible.

1. Create a New User Account Open Users & Groups preferences. Click on the lock icon and enter your Admin password when prompted. On the left under Current User click on the Add [+] button below Login Options. Setup a new Admin user account. Upon completion log out of your current account then log into the new account. If your problems cease, then consider switching to the new account and transferring your files to it - Transferring files from one User Account to another.
  2. Install Combo Updater Download OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 Combo Update or Download macOS Sierra 10.12.5 Combo Update or Download macOS Sierra 10.12.6 Combo Update and install.
  3. Reinstall OS X by booting from the Recovery HD using the Command and R keys. When the Utility Menu appears select Reinstall OS X then click on the Continue button.
  4. Erase and Install OS X Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the CommandandRkeys until the Apple logo appears. When the Utility Menu appears:
  1. Select Disk Utility from the Utility Menu and click on Continue button.
  2. When Disk Utility loads select the drive (out-dented entry) from the Device list.
  3. Click on the Erase icon in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.
  4. Set the Format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  5. Click on the Apply button, then wait for the Done button to activate and click on it.
  6. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  7. Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

Jul 22, 2017 4:14 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks for the quick answer.

I did erase and install part, but still got the problem.

What I noticed was, when I´m coming into a screen with grafics (recovery window or login screen) my mouse and keyboard doen‘t function. But if I wait ~10min and the screen goes to sleep mode or went into sleepmode, I can call him back up with my mouse and keyboard and work normaly without any issues, what so ever.

I cleard the nvram with comand option p and r, but didnt help.

Does anybody know, what that strange 10min window can be???

Oct 5, 2017 5:11 AM in response to Sonbart

My macOS High Sierra installation was stuck on initial login screen on my Mac Mini, Mid 2011, 2,5 GHz, Core i5 with an SSD. Repeated pressing of the shutdown button and restarting the Mac Mini always led to the same situation.

Also I was not able to reboot into the former macOS Sierra.

My solution:

1. Reinstall macOS Sierra (from a backup using Carbon Copy Cloner).

2. Boot into “Safe Mode” (holding down “Shift” during startup).

3. Run Disk Utility’s First Aid on the SSD.

4. Run macOS High Sierra installation app.

5. Allow the macOS High Sierra installation app to install “a new helper tool” when asked for (“Add Helper”-button).

6. Installation successful!

Stuck at login screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.