Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

shift key not working

hi for the past few days my shift key is not working , when i am playing a game my shift key doesn't work

and on other games it works only on few games it works but on few it doesn't can u plz help me?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 22, 2017 6:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2017 6:40 PM

The Shift keys on opposite sides of the keyboard provide the Mac with different raw key codes, so that some programs, especially games, can fool around with the translate tables and perform different actions based on which Shift key you pressed. But they sometimes fail to put them back when they quit, which can leave one or the other dysfunctional.

A restart after gaming is good idea anyway, and can clear up such problems.

The 'Keyboard Viewer', available through this torturous process:

System preferences > Keyboard > Input Sources ...

... then check [√] show Input Menu in MenuBar

then click the Input Menu icon in the MenuBar, and choose 'Keyboard Viewer'

... will put up a tiny keyboard on screen. As you press any key, the corresponding key on the Keyboard Viewer will go dark, showing that the KEY is being activated. (This checks for dead keys).

Keyboard input is so slow compared to say, disk input, that the System Management Controller (SMC) can and does do all the work required to read the keyboard. So an SMC reset is called for when a restart does not clear the problem.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2017 6:40 PM in response to tasin1210

The Shift keys on opposite sides of the keyboard provide the Mac with different raw key codes, so that some programs, especially games, can fool around with the translate tables and perform different actions based on which Shift key you pressed. But they sometimes fail to put them back when they quit, which can leave one or the other dysfunctional.

A restart after gaming is good idea anyway, and can clear up such problems.

The 'Keyboard Viewer', available through this torturous process:

System preferences > Keyboard > Input Sources ...

... then check [√] show Input Menu in MenuBar

then click the Input Menu icon in the MenuBar, and choose 'Keyboard Viewer'

... will put up a tiny keyboard on screen. As you press any key, the corresponding key on the Keyboard Viewer will go dark, showing that the KEY is being activated. (This checks for dead keys).

Keyboard input is so slow compared to say, disk input, that the System Management Controller (SMC) can and does do all the work required to read the keyboard. So an SMC reset is called for when a restart does not clear the problem.

shift key not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.