Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPad Pro 10.5 shuts itself down

My ipad Pro 10.5 has shut itself down on three occasions and the only way to get it going again is to either plug in the charger or hold down both buttons until the Apple icon appears. It doesn't appear to be related to the battery level, it has been different each time, the lowest was 48%. When I plug in the charger, it starts again straight away. Is anyone else experiencing this problem or do I have a faulty iPad?

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi, iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Jul 23, 2017 3:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2017 4:48 PM

Hi Jeremy, thanks for your reply. I've had iPads for over 6 years and this is the first time I have experienced this problem, which happened again yesterday so now has happened 4 times. The iPad shuts down while it is sleeping. The first time I thought I had inadvertently turned it off instead of putting it to sleep but holding down the sleep/wake button wouldn't restart it. Thinking the battery must have died, I plugged in the charger and it woke instantly. The battery level was 74%. The next time it happened, I did not have the charger with me but I managed to restart it by holding down the home and sleep button until the Apple icon appeared.

i bought this iPad online from Apple but unfortunately, Apple doesn't have a physical store in New Zealand so I may have to send it back.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2017 4:48 PM in response to jeremy_v

Hi Jeremy, thanks for your reply. I've had iPads for over 6 years and this is the first time I have experienced this problem, which happened again yesterday so now has happened 4 times. The iPad shuts down while it is sleeping. The first time I thought I had inadvertently turned it off instead of putting it to sleep but holding down the sleep/wake button wouldn't restart it. Thinking the battery must have died, I plugged in the charger and it woke instantly. The battery level was 74%. The next time it happened, I did not have the charger with me but I managed to restart it by holding down the home and sleep button until the Apple icon appeared.

i bought this iPad online from Apple but unfortunately, Apple doesn't have a physical store in New Zealand so I may have to send it back.

Aug 14, 2017 11:13 PM in response to Majj

My iPad Pro 10.5 is not even a month old, it unexpected shuts itself off and sometimes, holding the power button will turn it back again but other times it takes quite a while to turn it back on again. It happened again just now and it becoming quite annoyin. Spoke to apple Tec and they did a online diagnostic test but didn't hear anything about the result but got a cus satisfaction survey to fill out??? I am not satisfie. This is the second iPad in a month I had trouble with. First one I returned it in few hours after not been able to turn it off because it was stuck on apple logo.

Jul 24, 2017 8:50 AM in response to Majj

Hello Majj,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Community. I understand you’ve experienced unexpected shutdowns on your iPad Pro, and I have some information that may help.

Have a look at the article below for some helpful links and troubleshooting steps.

If your iOS device restarts or displays the Apple logo or a spinning gear unexpectedly - Apple Support

If you run into any trouble, please reach out again.
​Best Regards.

Oct 20, 2017 9:22 PM in response to Joz1987

You are not reaching Apple here, this is a user forum and we are all users like yourself. If you feel you have something you want to let Apple know then you can go to their feedback tooland let them know. In order for something to be fixed, it needs to be known exactly what the issue is some saying that it is a memory issue could be anything. It could be a memory issue, but it could be something running that is causing the issue and without being able to reproduce it all the time it’s not as simple as just fixing it. I have an iPad Pro 10.5 and have had it for a few months and have had 0 issues with it. I can see that there is something that a lot of people are having, but if it isn’t EVERYONE having it then it could be a number of things causing it and isnt always a simple fix and needs to be verified before releasing something.

Aug 14, 2017 11:46 PM in response to ignatiusfromcurtin

My Ipad is still shutting down. I have contacted Apple help twice, they ran a diagnostic test and said everything was fine. They suggested it was a rogue app causing the problem, I deleted then reinstalled some apps and deleted others but the problem has continued.

Since then, I have done more online research plus talked to other Apple iPad Pro users and it appears this is a known issue with the iPad Pro series. I've read that Apple is aware of the issue and it is related to a memory bug. Most people I have talked to are hoping the issue will be fixed with iOS 11.

I thought my iPad was shutting down while it was sleeping but I have since been told it is crashing on waking. It has shut down a few times while I have been using it but usually happens when I try to wake it. I can always restart it by either holding down the sleep and home buttons until the Apple logo appears or by plugging it into the charger. Not good enough Apple!!!

Oct 12, 2017 5:30 PM in response to Majj

I have the same issue. It's happened on my iPad Pro 10.5in iOS 11.0, 11.0.1, 11.0.2 and the most recent 11.0.3. It doesn't seem related to the charge. The thing isn't even 2 months old. Bought from Apple as well and I also do not have an Apple store around me for 200 miles. Did you even have your issue fixed? If so, what did you do? If not, what are you currently doing? Thanks!

Oct 20, 2017 8:26 PM in response to Majj

Dear Apple i have the same issue with y new Ipad Pro 10.5 in iOS 11.0.3. I am annoying with you, all my devices are apple and i trusted on you. My iPad shuts down while it is sleeping and is impossible make my homework . We as a customers need a solution. We pay a expensive price for your device, so we need a solution inmediatly. If others friends have the same problem, maybe we can join and make a letter or expose our issue on facebook and twitter.

Thanks

IPad Pro 10.5 shuts itself down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.