Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing playlists after iTunes update?!

I updated iTunes this weekend (22nd July 2017). Everything seemed to work as planned at the time. However, all of the Playlists I'd created in my iTunes library have disappeared - that's many playlists created over many years.

I realise this isn't uncommon (which is worrying in itself - why does it happen?) and I've had a look on some of the previous threads and questions/suggestions on the Support pages, but most of them seem quite complicated. However, I'm trying to work my way through some of the information and advice provided.

A further query and confusion I've got is that when I search for Previous iTunes Libraries I can't find one with a date more recent than some time in 2015 - I was expecting to find a saved Library from the date of the iTunes upgrade? (or at least from an update more recently than 2015).

My iPod Classic contains all of the playlists, but I can't find anyway to transfer that list back to iTunes (transferring purchases doesn't work).

Any help, with very simple explanations, or new ideas, would be very helpful please.

I really don't want to have to start recreating Playlists from scratch!

iPod classic, Windows 10

Posted on Jul 24, 2017 5:11 AM

4 replies

Dec 26, 2017 3:35 PM in response to rigid71hd

In most cases the steps in Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash will restore the pre-upgrade state of the library with all playlists intact.

There are scripts listed towards the end of Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device that can extract playlists from a device, assuming the files themselves are in the library.

See Backup your iTunes for Windows library with SyncToy to preserve your library in future.

tt2

Jul 28, 2017 7:08 AM in response to Harlmeister

Perhaps you moved your library and you're looking at the Previous iTunes Libraries folder in an older version of it? The second link above should give you all of the tools you need. There are scripts for extracting playlists from your device if you are unable to restore a working copy of the library file, and advice on how to back up in future.

tt2

Missing playlists after iTunes update?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.