Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

malwarebytes is it safe?

I was just on the Apple Support app. And was recommend to go to this link by “Alexander”

https://malwarebytes/Mac/. Is this a legit Download. And if so why is it not in the App Store?

Posted on Jul 24, 2017 10:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2017 2:43 AM

Super_Expert wrote:

Yes it is safe but i would not recommend downloading malwarebytes. Malwarebytes is an anitivirus witch is trusted but on a mac it is not needed it is extremely hard to get a virus on mac so don't waste your time!

Malwarebytes is extremely useful on a Mac. Macs can and do get malware. Not all malware is viruses. It's certainly a better first step that making an appointment at an Apple Store, schlepping your computer there, waiting your turn. And then having the Apple staff download Malwarebytes.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2017 2:43 AM in response to Super_Expert

Super_Expert wrote:

Yes it is safe but i would not recommend downloading malwarebytes. Malwarebytes is an anitivirus witch is trusted but on a mac it is not needed it is extremely hard to get a virus on mac so don't waste your time!

Malwarebytes is extremely useful on a Mac. Macs can and do get malware. Not all malware is viruses. It's certainly a better first step that making an appointment at an Apple Store, schlepping your computer there, waiting your turn. And then having the Apple staff download Malwarebytes.

Jul 25, 2017 4:06 PM in response to Michael McCranie

Note that the link you've provided is not actually correct... there's no ".com" on the domain name. It should be malwarebytes.com.

Also, be sure you download the Mac version, not the Windows version.

As for why it's not in the App Store, that's because the restrictions placed on App Store apps would neuter its functionality, crippling it beyond any usefulness. Any antivirus in the App Store should be viewed with suspicion. There are a lot of scam apps in there, and those that are legit are still hamstrung by the restrictions.

Aug 14, 2017 5:45 PM in response to thomas_r.

I have downloaded, installed and run Malwarebytes on my mac mini. I am trying to get rid of Safe Finder in my mac mini. Malwarebytes deleted a lot of stuff that I didn't know I had, but it didn't get rid of Safe Finder. I didn't find any help on the Malwarebytes web site. The below reference given on the web site does not work

https://support.malwarebytes.org/customer/portal/articles/2045716-?b_id=9511

I have installed the latest OS X (10.12.6) but that didn't get rid of Safe Finder.

I am using the free version of Malwarebytes. I will purchase a license, if it works. We should all support efforts to thwart these malware geeks.

I will post again if there is progress.

Owen

malwarebytes is it safe?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.