Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 13" (2016, Touch) - Keyboard broken after 6 months?!!

Well, spending nearly $3k on a MacBook Pro 2016 (Touch, 4 USB, 1TB SSD 16GB) does not buy you quality anymore. After a few months of usage the SPACE key does not work anymore. You need a lot of extra pressure to get a "space" and you can feel the key is not properly responding. I am not a typer using a lot of force - and some of my MacBook keyboards had no problems for years. I never experienced something like tihs and I am really annoyed by it.

Question: Who is having the same problems? I can find quite a lot of entries on the web but I want to put this on the Apple discussions forum to see if this lack of quality with a high-end machine is common or if I just got my machine too early (being one of the first buyers for this laptop here in Germany)

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, 4 TBT3), macOS Sierra (10.12.6), 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

Posted on Jul 26, 2017 9:17 AM

7 replies

Jul 27, 2017 6:25 AM in response to rgev1973

Hi I also have this problem. The machine's been back to the Genius bar to be fixed once already - but now new keys don't work. It was a real botch job. A lot of posters have had the exact same problem. I'm really worried I've been sold a complete pup and Apple will just keep rebotching until my warranty runs out. I'm thinking about demanding my money back, or trying to get a next gen machine without this problem if third time isn't a charm. I use this machine for my business. My last MacBook book pro lasted 6 years - no problem! I've been using Apple since the year dot. This is the first time I've been disappointed like this.

Bad Apple.

Aug 4, 2017 9:47 PM in response to rgev1973

Sadly, this seems to be a pretty big issue. On a popular Mac-related site there are over 1,000 posts of people discussing their experiences. I am also in this camp. When I got my 2016 I felt like the keyboard was acting up but assumed it was just me getting acclimated to it. After several months (I didn't use it much after I got my job as one was provided) when I started using it again, I noticed it wasn't me.. that keys were not responding to every tap and that my spacebar was straight jacked as it may space.. it may not... it might even move over 10 spaces.

I took my 2016 TB 13" to Apple and the keyboard did fail diagnostics so they asked if I would be OK if they sent it in for repair. I joked that they could keep it as the keyboard was driving me nuts. After years of typing on these machines, we trust them. The keyboard should be a staple of reliability. I felt like I was having to audit my key taps in-typing.. NOPE.

As is stands now, my 2016 TB 13 MBP had the top case, keyboard and battery replaced. It's at the Apple Store now and honestly I don't want it. I want my money back or a store credit. I am typing this on a refurbished 2015 13" MBP 8GB/256GB (I really need more but it was all that was available) that I paid $1,099 for. That's about EIGHT hundred less than the janky keyboard one and it runs everything wonderfully. Lightroom and Photoshop are running great. All the apps are super snappy.

It's sad actually. We pay a LOT more for Apple products because we value quality and consistency of hardware and software.. but there are again.. over 1,000 posts of people who have been through up to 13 (yes, 13) MBP with keyboard issues. It's no small deal.

So as it stands for me, worst case I can sell the 2016 I get back and my IPP 9.7 and fund this 2015 MBP and an IPP 10.5. Normally, I would be stoked that the MBP was repaired and thankful. However, there are many stories of people having the same issue over and over and over and over. I don't TRUST Apple anymore. What happens when we are out of warranty? We are on the hook for an $800 assembly??

I am likely going to give Apple the benefit of the doubt. They fixed my MBP in 2 days. That's a supply chain and repair miracle. What it tells me though is that this is a major deal and processes are in place to address it. Early on they were giving people replacement computers. Now the top case and battery assembly is the solution. But it goes back to how long before it breaks again? .. and that has never been a question I asked about Apple before now.

If Apple asks me what I want my response would be a 2017 16GB/512GB 13" nonTB and AppleCare+.

I have no idea what will happen. I don't have confidence that this repair will be the last. All the data points say that it will not be. Worst case with the 2017 they seem to have less issues and if push comes to shove I could sell for a good value to fund a refurb.

One more thing (yeah.. I did), I have noticed that there is a run on 2015 13" MBP in the refurbished store. Maybe they have always been this popular but you can literally see a model appear, say the one I bought and it is gone in minutes. Many are buying the 2015 over the 2016 and 2017. That speaks volumes. I missed on the 2015 refurb I wanted because I waited 10 minutes. No joke. Then this one popped up I grabbed my credit card.

Time will tell.. but I have been around Apple products for a long time and this is some the worst functional issues I have seen. Yes, some people complain about warm screens on their iPhone.. but this is literally people with broken keyboards on VERY expensive machines. I wish you all luck.

TC

Aug 4, 2017 10:01 PM in response to williams leith

This may not be what you want to hear but the 2015, all sizes and models are still very close to the 2016 in performance. The read/write speeds of the 2016+ are crazy fast but you can still be well over 1Gb in a base 13"...and you get ports and glowing Apple logo back as well. Apple refurbished are known for being amazing products. This 2015 refurb I am on now is flawless, had 1 battery cycle and is running smooth. I did some basic tests in Lightroom and Photoshop tonight and they both were only using 2GB of RAM combined and running well.

Dec 4, 2017 8:03 AM in response to williams leith

My first apple I owned was a G4 Back the week they first hit the market I think in 2001.

IT WAS A LEMON from a burning ****.

In 5 years, it was in for repairs almost the whole time,

fortunately for me every few weeks I was on another loaner, sometimes every week.

Sucked for data transfer but I was on every model every size laptop

& there were some DOGS & some SUNSHINE... a bunch in the middle.

Over the years I've had also had a bunch of other laptops. Had two keypads some of buttons go out, and had two laptops some of keys popped out but would able to pop back in. IMO the keyboards in past were superior, but they also had a long bumpy road in quality and a good recovery about in 2008 with the 15 inch pro and those thick gray keys - superior.

If your system is the keyboard going out - get another one... and hope all stats well.

MacBook Pro 13" (2016, Touch) - Keyboard broken after 6 months?!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.