Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 Unexpected Shutdown after iOS 10.3.3 update

Like almost everyone else, I've had horrible battery issues since iOS 10 was released last fall.

I've learned to deal with it since no fix has been provided, however, after the 10.3.3 update was released (and installed), my iPhone 6 will randomly shut down with no way of powering it back up unless it is put in a charger.

Battery hovers around 55%, then out of no where... dead.

Is this a common issue being seen after the 10.3.3 update?

iPhone 6, iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Jul 26, 2017 2:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2017 2:34 PM

Have you tried any troubleshooting?

1. Restart: Press On/Off button until the Slide to Power Off slider appears, select Slide to Power Off and, after It shuts down, press the On/Off button until the Apple logo appears.
  2. Reset: Press the Home and On/Off buttons at the same time and hold them until the Apple logo appears (about 10-15 seconds).
  3. Restore: Connect your iPhone to iTunes on your computer, backup, and then select Restore to Factory.
214 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2017 2:34 PM in response to soxmwc44

Have you tried any troubleshooting?

1. Restart: Press On/Off button until the Slide to Power Off slider appears, select Slide to Power Off and, after It shuts down, press the On/Off button until the Apple logo appears.
  2. Reset: Press the Home and On/Off buttons at the same time and hold them until the Apple logo appears (about 10-15 seconds).
  3. Restore: Connect your iPhone to iTunes on your computer, backup, and then select Restore to Factory.

Sep 3, 2017 11:29 AM in response to rahul.rai

Hi

Depending on the nature of the issue, your iPhone may require battery service.

Before contacting Apple, try the following steps:

Restart your iPhone (normally):

Check which apps are responsible for battery usage:

• Go to: Settings > Battery > under Battery Usage, select the Last 24 Hours tab.
  • Address any issues with potentially problematic apps (such as by removing and reinstalling them).

Follow Apple's tips for maximising battery performance and battery life, as detailed here:

When charging your iPhone, follow the instructions in the following support article, including:

Check whether the issue persists after restoring your iPhone to factory settings:

If the issue persists, then I suggest that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and mail-in service may be available), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance, including - if recommended - to arrange for your iPhone to be checked and, if required, serviced:

Jul 26, 2017 5:58 PM in response to soxmwc44

A suggested troubleshooting from an apple support advisor mentions putting your device in recovery mode and updating through iTunes. This will reinstall the software without damaging content. If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support. But make sure not only that you have a backup, but the content that is important is saved independently in either the iCloud or on a computer. Meaning importing things like photos, saving all the things you're able to turn on in the iCloud settings independently. Know your credentials for any apps on your device. That way if the issue is software and you have to restore to factory settings and set up as new iPhone you still have your most important content.

Aug 9, 2017 4:24 PM in response to teslaman

I had an issue when the update came out as well. Apple Support led me to putting my device in recovery mode and pushing the update again through iTunes on a computer. It did resolve the issue. If you're issue is not resolved, follow the steps again and you may have to restore your device, but set up as new iPhone, not from backup. Make sure your important content is saved to the iCloud or computer independent of a backup. Text messages may be lost. If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Oct 14, 2017 11:24 AM in response to QualityIsImportant

Batteries, by their very nature, have a fixed life. The iPhone battery is rated at 250 full discharges (or 500 half-discharges, etc.). It has nothing to do with the 3-year period. That's a fact of life and there is no way around it.

If you waited several hours at the store, you likely did not make an appointment before you went.

Another way to keep tabs on your battery is here although I don't know if it's as accurate as the test at the store.

Jul 26, 2017 6:01 PM in response to soxmwc44

Then make an appointment at the Apple Store to have the device examined. Any battery issues that users are having with iOS 10 are generally traced back to the individual device, not to the iOS. I do not know anyone with iOS 10.x on their devices is experiencing battery issues, and we have 8 of them in the house, 5 various iPhones and 3 iPads.

Jul 27, 2017 6:36 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thank you for your response. All I can say is that if your comment is accurate, you, and your multiple devices, are a few of the lucky ones. This community, as well as multiple other sites, are over run with issues of battery drain since iOS 10 came out.

https://discussions.apple.com/search.jspa?facet=content&type=discussion&sort=rel evanceDesc&showAnsweredFirst=true&q=ios%…

Again, thank you for your response and continued success with your devices.

Jul 27, 2017 10:47 AM in response to soxmwc44

I understand there are more responses where individuals are experiencing problems. If you also do a search, you will see this same thing pop up after each major iOS update. These problems will crop up with individual devices, and after going through the troubleshooting steps, most, if not 99% are fine. Major iOS updates can result in data problems, and processes can get stuck. Once an individual has restored the device to factory and tested it without any additional content, they will return to normal. If you restore your backup and it starts acting up again, it is usually traced back to a data problem in the backup. Users will set the phone up as new, putting their data back manually, and they are fine. I never said you were not having problems, but following the user troubleshooting steps will overall fix your device, unless you are having a hardware issue. That is why I recommended the Genius Bar appointment. And believe me, considering the number of devices on iOS 10, I am more than just a lucky few.

Aug 1, 2017 8:30 AM in response to soxmwc44

Hi,

I'm facing the same issue that you met also after I update my IOS to 10.3.3 on my iPhone 6.

I've get Apple Online Support, they ask me to do a Reset All Settings, this won't delete anything in your phone, just reset all the settings to factory default, not restore IOS.

After this, they ask me to use the phone battery drain till 0%, then charge it back to 100% and leave it charge for another 10 minutes. Then repeat this step once again.

After this, monitor the phone for 48 hours and see whether it still happen the same problem again or not.

Then only feedback to them if there still problem exist.

Aug 1, 2017 10:10 PM in response to Justmisty78

Do you facing this problem when your IOS still on 10.3.2 ?

I facing the battery drain fast when on IOS 10.3.2.... so I think could be the battery problem, so I go to change a new battery too but it didn't make big difference. That's why I update my IOS to latest one 10.3.3.

Who knows that it become more worse. I rather remain in 10.3.2 better than current situation as it will shutdown itself while drop till 50%+. If that moment I don't have any charging device with me, then means I can't power ON back my phone, especially when on emergency.

Aug 4, 2017 8:46 AM in response to Tscruggs91

I chat online with the Apple Support until the Apple Senior support from California call me up to get info from me and try the way for testing, all also can't solved the problem. Until the last he ask me to to drain the battery till 0% then recharge it till 100% to calibrate the battery. But the problem is the battery don't even can get reach 0% and it already shutdown in no where. Today my phone situation more worse. Even the battery is 100%, it still goes shutdown.... getting worse and worse and worse....

I also change my phone battery since a month plus ago...

Today get I a dealer of mine and he was doing phone repairing for many years. As his experience he told me that this mostly is the battery problem to cause this issue. As we didn't really purchase back the original battery from Apple, outside people selling one a lot is fake one. Is the battery quality issue and cause the phone like this.

So he suggest me to purchase back the original better.

But the thing is, original one will cause me RM493 for a battery from Apple Machine shop... It's freaking horror on the price...I also don't know what to do now.... Really **** on the new IOS 10.3.3....

If didn't update it, the phone won't have this problems out.

iPhone 6 Unexpected Shutdown after iOS 10.3.3 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.