Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

screw sizes and location map needed for iPhone 4s

Hi! I am in the midst of repairing my iPhone 4s that was exposed to water. I used a screw mat, cleaned inside, and everything was going well. I left it to dry while I went and tended my horses. I came back to find.... that my cat had jumped up onto the table and walked over the screw map...which was NOT magnetic.....and the screws were EVERYWHERE. GRRRRR.
So....I have been searching the internet for screw maps & dimensions, printed off some guides, borrowed a digital caliper and set out to measure each and every little screw. The only problem is that the sizes I am getting aren't corresponding with the ones on the sizing map that I printed out, which leads me to believe there must be a different version out there somewhere (I've measured each screw at least 5 times!). I have spent DAYS on this, trying to fix it on my own, and I REALLY need to get it done because I was hit with a major flood recently, and Insurance companies and cleaners are trying to get a hold of me! Is there ANY way you could help me out by telling me which size screw goes where???
Here is the list of the screws/measurements I have. The measurements in brackets are the measurements that I got (18 screws in total):
1- 1.33 (1.31)
1- 1.55
1- 2.45 (2.46)
3- 2.65 (2.62, 2.63, 2.62)
2- 1.50 (1.51)
1- 1.16 (1.17)
1- 1.66 (1.65)
1- 1.81
1- 2.74
2- 3.66 (pentalobe) - for outside beside the charging port I assume
2- 2.60 - these were sitting the closest to the speaker on the screw map
1- 4.8 (flathead) -has three decreasing 'step-downs' in size from top to bottom
1- 3.68 (flathead) -has a piece that is slightly flared out from under the top of the screw

Here is the link for the screw size page I was using (from ifixit) as a guide for the sizes (but as I said, they weren't really corresponding that well):
https://www.ifixit.com/Search?query=iphone+4s+screw+map

Is there any way you could provide me with this information and tell me which screws go where? (Or where I might be able to find this information?
Thank you so much for any help you can provide!

Patti

iPhone 4S

Posted on Jul 27, 2017 10:05 AM

5 replies

Jul 28, 2017 2:57 AM in response to deggie

Hi- Yes, that's what I ended up doing. I combined info from a bunch of YouTube videos and websites and managed to get it back together. Welllll....I was on the second last screw (putting the battery back in) and I heard the tweezers go 'ping'...felt the screw fly 'somewhere' and then the sound of it hitting wood (either my harvest table in the kitchen or the old pine floors. I spent two hours on my hands and knees with a magnet.....and I could NOT find it. I couldn't believe it. After all this, and spending hours making sure I had all the right screws, and then THIS happens. Sigh.

So I put the last screw in and to my surprise, the battery indicator light came on (so I guess that's a good sign!).

I have it charging right now without the screw in and with the back off. I don't think it is charging though because the The battery I put in was an old one though- which was the only one I had besides the one that had the water damage.

So, I will get another screw (somehow, somewhere), and another battery and go from there!

The only thing that was different was the two screws that hold the speaker in were listed as being 2.4, as was the screw in the middle of the logic board. All I had were 3 x 2.6mm ones, so I ended up using those because I checked and re-checked every screw over and over with the digital caliper and there were no other ones that would have fit.

So....I guess we'll see what happens when I get another battery.

What a learning curve!!!

I really appreciate it when people take time to offer their input and share their knowledge, so thanks to everyone for their help!!

Patti

screw sizes and location map needed for iPhone 4s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.