Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What if i keep my macbook pro always to charging ?

Hello Every one.

Hope u r doing well.

I am using windows 10 on my macbook pro Q2 late 2015 . Can I keep my MacBook pro plugged in all times while working on it or while it is on sleep mode ?

My most concern is that it will make the battery bad if i keep it charging and plugged in while i am using win 10 on my macbook .

Posted on Jul 29, 2017 7:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2017 9:23 AM

Hi!

You can keep it plugged in while you work all the time, but is unrecommended due to the fact that todays modern computers just lithium-ion batteries and they too have a life span and can be shorten on the computer charge cycle, but as long as you have AppleCare on it's limited warranty or the extended warranty you can surely have Apple Support replace the battery, but I wouldn't keep it plugged in 24/7 like that due to the batteries life span, pushing the battery can result into the swelling of it and may not be covered under Apple if found to be done on purpose, but you can prevent that and find out how many more charge cycles your MacBook Pro has here.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201585

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2017 9:23 AM in response to Saifan Pilot

Hi!

You can keep it plugged in while you work all the time, but is unrecommended due to the fact that todays modern computers just lithium-ion batteries and they too have a life span and can be shorten on the computer charge cycle, but as long as you have AppleCare on it's limited warranty or the extended warranty you can surely have Apple Support replace the battery, but I wouldn't keep it plugged in 24/7 like that due to the batteries life span, pushing the battery can result into the swelling of it and may not be covered under Apple if found to be done on purpose, but you can prevent that and find out how many more charge cycles your MacBook Pro has here.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201585

Jul 29, 2017 12:08 PM in response to luqmanfromhayatabad

Hi,

Today’s lithium ion batteries are completely different than batteries of the past, and some people still live in the past regarding battery care. Given that, there are vastly differing opinions on how to treat Mac batteries.

If you run using the power adapter as much as possible, then you're saving "cycles" of which your battery has limited amount of. Age will also take its toll on a battery, no matter the usage. Some people will recommend running the battery down about 75% at once a month to keep it "exercised" which Lithium Ion batteries do need some of, but Apple has built that in to their charging circuit; after charging to 100% the battery won't charge anymore until it runs down to about 95% (which will occur naturally over time even with it plugged in), then charge it back up to 100%, etc.

Apple doesn’t say there’s anything wrong with leaving your Mac notebook plugged in all the time, nor do they say you need to discharge it ever (unless you’re not going to use your Mac portable long term) so they don’t think it’s a problem either: http://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

If, on the other hand, you want/need to use your battery with any frequency, go ahead, that’s why it’s there, to make your Mac portable and able to run out in the field with no power supply available.

You can run your Mac on battery for a little bit, then charge it back up to whatever level you want, and repeat this as many times as you want.

In short, you can use your battery any way you want to.

Jul 29, 2017 9:02 AM in response to tjk

Hi there!

Thank you for this question luqmanfromhayatabad, and for your answer tjk . I have been thinking about this too. Last week I got my very first MacBook Air and I started worrying that I will run down the battery if I use it as a laptop computer (constantly plugged in).

I found some advice on the Internet that echoes the comment of tjk and I decided to follow it.

[quote]...As with other areas of Apple design, Apple designed their batteries so users don’t need to maintain them. If you’ve got a Unibody portable Mac, there is no right or wrong way to charge it. Keep it plugged in, keep it run down and recharged - it’s all the same. Some people swear by draining the battery every month or two if you don’t already. This is more likely to be a placebo effect, there really is no method to keep your battery healthy!...[/quote]

(from https://computers.tutsplus.com/tutorials/practical-tips-for-taking-care-of-your- macs-battery--mac-45367 )

And on Quora: https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-officially-best-way-to-keep-a-MacBooks-battery -healthy-and-long-lasting

Of course, it would be good if Apple support said something clearly on this matter. It would be good for unexperienced people like me. But I couldn't find anything here (Batteries - Apple).

What if i keep my macbook pro always to charging ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.