Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No audio on Apple TV Gen 4

I just upgraded from Apple TV Gen 3 to Gen 4. I previously connected it to my tv using HDMI and to my receiver using optical audio out to get surround sound. My new Apple TV Gen 4 doesn't have an optical audio out. My receiver doesn't have an HDMI port so I connected my Apple TV Gen 4 to my tv using HDMI as before and connected optical audio out from my tv to my receiver, but no audio. I can get audio only if I turn on my tv speakers but that isn't taking advantage of my surround sound. What am I missing?

Posted on Jul 29, 2017 9:25 AM

12 replies

Jul 29, 2017 10:22 AM in response to Buzz_B

Have you tried adjusting the “Audio Mode" and the “Surround Sound" settings in Settings Audio and Video? It may be worth trying several combinations of these settings, although typically it is the “Surround Sound" setting that causes most problems for users.

Your TV may not support pass through or you may need to map the audio to the optical output.

If it still doesn't work you might try one of these.

HDMI to HDMI + Audio (Example Only - Not a recommendation or suggestion that this is suitable in your circumstances)

Jul 29, 2017 3:49 PM in response to Buzz_B

... so I connected my Apple TV Gen 4 to my tv using HDMI as before and connected optical audio out from my tv to my receiver, but no audio.

That's the usual setup and the one I'm using now. The settings to check are not so much the ones on Apple TV, but those on your TV set (audio out to digital/optical jack, fixed volume) and on your receiver /sound bar (audio input set to digital/optical port).

Jul 30, 2017 1:52 PM in response to Buzz_B

I tried all the suggestions posted in this discussion without success. I was about to give up when I decided to try one more idea. I connected the left and right Audio Out jacks from my tv to the left and right Audio In jacks on my receiver (I used Video 2 since my Apple TV is configured to Video 2 on my receiver) and that worked! Now I have surround sound with my new Apple TV Gen 4. I expected the sound quality might be worse than it was when I used the Optical Audio cable on my old Apple TV Gen 3 but the sound quality is great.

No audio on Apple TV Gen 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.