Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up new network _ ethernet and wireless

Hi All,

For a while i have been running 1xAEBS and 3x Airport Express. They are set up like this:

My cable modem conects to the AEBS and the 3 express's and set up via WDS to extend range and provide ethernet access for a Playstation, an older imac and run a printer wirelessly.

Now my problem is that and the far end of my network (the imac) i am only getting 10% of my 10mb internet speed which annoys me. Obviously this is as the signal is be relayed via another airport express and all the thick walls and such.
so i am going wire up the house with cat5 and a switch and put ethernet sockets in each of the rooms where the is currently an Airport express.
If i were to do this and connect an ethernet cable from my new sockets to the airport express am i right in saying tha these would the act as access points for me to wireless connect at full speed?

If so could you give me any advice on how to configure the expresses How can i be sure it is connecting to the AEBS via ethernet and not wifi?

thanks

Jon

Macbook Pro 2.0, Mac OS X (10.4.6), 2gb Ram

Posted on Jan 5, 2007 2:52 PM

3 replies

Jan 5, 2007 5:49 PM in response to Jonny Skyman

Sorry to tell you this but every WDS relay point cuts the available bandwidth in half.

So if you have the following:

AEBS ~ AX1 ~ AX2 ~ AX3

The link between AX2 and AX3 is down to a maximum of 13 Mbps.

If i were to do this and connect an ethernet cable from my new sockets to the airport express am i right in saying tha these would the act as access points for me to wireless connect at full speed?

Yes. Configure the AirPort Express (AX) to connect via Ethernet and ensure that they are not configured to use WDS.

Setting up new network _ ethernet and wireless

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.