Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Max book pro requires four digit code to login

my friends mac book pro won't let him login.

instead of asking him for a password, it asks for a four digit code.

theres a ”apple.help@gmx.com” link below the code entry form to contact.

is this ransom ware?

he tried booting using cmd+R while powering up, but an image of a padlock

and the four digit code entry form appeared instead of a login screen.

what should he do?

thanks!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.5), 13"

Posted on Jul 30, 2017 4:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2017 8:15 AM

Problem solved.

Apple Corporation locked my friend's computer. Why? Who knows!

My friend brought the locked mac book pro into an Apple store, and they had to keep it for a few days until Apple Corp unlocked it.

This lock is apparently a firmware lock, and you can't even revert to a time capsule backup until the machine is unlocked.

Not sure why Apple locked this computer, as my friend did not report it stolen nor did he lock it himself. We suspect it had something to do with the fact he had purchased a used Apple watch a day or so before this computer was locked by Apple. The seller of the Apple watch did not initially remove it from his iCloud list of devices and my friend had to work with the seller and with Apple to get the watch properly transferred over to my friend, the watch buyer.

Anyway, my friend is off to the Apple store to pick up his computer, hopefully unlocked now, and fully working.

Edit: My friend wasn't charged for this fix.

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2017 8:15 AM in response to sd6

Problem solved.

Apple Corporation locked my friend's computer. Why? Who knows!

My friend brought the locked mac book pro into an Apple store, and they had to keep it for a few days until Apple Corp unlocked it.

This lock is apparently a firmware lock, and you can't even revert to a time capsule backup until the machine is unlocked.

Not sure why Apple locked this computer, as my friend did not report it stolen nor did he lock it himself. We suspect it had something to do with the fact he had purchased a used Apple watch a day or so before this computer was locked by Apple. The seller of the Apple watch did not initially remove it from his iCloud list of devices and my friend had to work with the seller and with Apple to get the watch properly transferred over to my friend, the watch buyer.

Anyway, my friend is off to the Apple store to pick up his computer, hopefully unlocked now, and fully working.

Edit: My friend wasn't charged for this fix.

Jul 30, 2017 11:29 PM in response to sd6

Same thing happened to me but the email is apple.device@gmx.com, I have firmware password enabled on my Macbook Air and I enter it and then it asks for 4 digit PIN code and the message "write to email: apple.device@gmx.com". I see my Macbook in iCloud but the Lock is greyed so I can't unlock it using my iCloud account. I think it's mind-blowing that I can't unlock it from the iCloud Account.

Jul 31, 2017 5:19 PM in response to sebgarcia@wanadoo.fr

The Apple store fixed it for me for free. They should for everyone. This was a breach in their security - hackers got access to our iCloud login and were able to lock our devices. Apple Genius Bar should take care of it. Mine took 20 min. Make sure you change your iCloud password, and just in case any other account to which you log in with the same password as it surely has been compromised.

Good luck!

Aug 4, 2017 4:21 AM in response to sd6

Same for me in the Netherlands. Took the macbook to an apple reseller. They hadn't seen this before.

Luckily I have a time capsule so restoring won't be difficult.

Anyone heard a statement from Apple about this? Is it due to phishing (i never click unknown links)? I have eset anti virus and real time protection from that etc. Or is it an iCloud hack and how is it possible that only 1 of my 2 macbooks is hacked and asks me to enter a 4 digit code?

Aug 4, 2017 11:01 AM in response to sd6

The apple store engineers were very cautious to call it a hack when I was there for help. Not good for transparency... They fixed it, gave me an explanation that was insufficient and only after I explained that I get what had happened, they confirmed it but still didnt call it a breach in security. Frustrating..

Basically, this is how I understand it - someone got access to our iCloud account details (user name, password). They entered via different IP addresses (mine showed Santiago, Lima, but other people have seen Russia and so forth..). However, as most people have 2 way authentication, they could not access the actual iCloud account - I got a msg on my iphone saying my phone was reported lost and also asked if I allow the iCloud login in Santiago. I said "Phone found" and then responded Dont Allow the iCloud access, and so they couldnt actually access my account. What they could do, however, click on Find my Phone (which is available on the page of 2-step verification on a desktop) - which is how they reported the phone lost and how they then locked my Mac. Then I imagine they hacked in and passed their fake screen with fake email so that you contact them and they request funds.

It is certainly not Apple, and to be honest its sketchy and unfair for Apple not to take responsibility and tell people the truth.

Aug 4, 2017 11:22 AM in response to Ericfle

Same happened to me like 2hrs ago , I was in the middle of an email as i got a pop up notification that somebody from Kaluga is trying to access my account on my iphone and while I was looking at that my macbook just shut down and requires a 4 digit password. What an ********, did you figure it out by any chance?

Aug 5, 2017 4:52 AM in response to vera204

Ive just been to two of my local apple stores and none of them could help me, they said they have tried to reinstall everything but it seems like it is locked in apple security itself and I should call apple... It seems like nobody over here had this problem, really frustrating when you pay good money for something and apple should have a great security, but here you go out of nowhere...bam you're dead. Can somebody even do something to prevent that happening in the future?

Aug 5, 2017 6:22 AM in response to solriik

solriik,

Have your local Apple store techs call the Apple store at the Florida Mall in Orlando FL.

They just unlocked my friend's computer.

You will need your proof of ownership (receipt).

If your mac is locked and requires a four digit code to unlock it, then it's the same problem my friend had and the Apple store at the Florida Mall solved it.

Max book pro requires four digit code to login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.