Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Location of user account / profile photo

When I first got my MBP, I used the camera option to take a pic for my user account photo/icon. It turned out to be a really good pic of me, so I'm trying to locate the original file on my hard drive. I'm running Sierra 10.12.6.

Here are the google suggestions I've already tried:

~/Library/Caches/

~/Library/User Pictures

~/Library/images/ichat/recent photos

~/Library/Application Support/AddressBook/Images

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.iChat/Pictures/

~/Library/Images/iChat Recent Pictures/

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.ImageKit.RecentPictureService/Data/Library/Images /Recent Pictures/

/Mac HD/Library/Caches/com.apple.user501pictureCache.tiff

To be clear, this is how I took the photo.

User uploaded file

Anyone know where OS X stores this image?

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Jul 30, 2017 6:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2017 7:55 PM

Thanks. That's good news. I incorrectly assumed the screenshot was of a blank image because you had already deleted the image you want to retrieve.

Assuming the picture in that Users & Groups pane is really the one you want to retrieve, then do it this way using Terminal:

dscl . -read /Users/john JPEGPhoto | tail -1 | xxd -r -p > ~/Desktop/pic.jpg

That will perform a hex dump to deposit a .jpg of your login picture on your Desktop, named pic.jpg

It would be best to copy that line (triple-click to select the entire line), paste it something like TextEdit (for example), substitute your "short user name" for "john", and finally paste the result into Terminal.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2017 7:55 PM in response to kidchemical

Thanks. That's good news. I incorrectly assumed the screenshot was of a blank image because you had already deleted the image you want to retrieve.

Assuming the picture in that Users & Groups pane is really the one you want to retrieve, then do it this way using Terminal:

dscl . -read /Users/john JPEGPhoto | tail -1 | xxd -r -p > ~/Desktop/pic.jpg

That will perform a hex dump to deposit a .jpg of your login picture on your Desktop, named pic.jpg

It would be best to copy that line (triple-click to select the entire line), paste it something like TextEdit (for example), substitute your "short user name" for "john", and finally paste the result into Terminal.

Location of user account / profile photo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.