Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WiFi Issues After macOS Sierra 10.12.6 Update

Ever since I did the latest macOS Sierra Update, I've been having horrible wifi connectivity, the speed just keeps dropping sometimes to decimals. I've done everything to help including a custom wifi network, and resetting PRAM. Can someone help me solve this problem? Please help!

This is what I've done so far. And reset PRAM, and the obvious like cycling the router.

1: Remove Existing Wi-Fi Preferences in macOS Sierra

This is going to involve removing some system configuration files, therefore you should backup your Mac first, just in case. Do not remove any other system configuration files.

• Quit any active applications that are using wi-fi or the internet (Safari, Chrome, etc)
  • Turn OFF wi-fi by selecting the wi-fi menu bar item and choosing “Turn Wi-Fi Off”
  • Open Finder in macOS and pull down the “Go” menu and choose “Go To Folder” (or hit Command+Shift+G to get there quickly)
  • Enter the following path exactly into “Go to folder” window and choose “Go”
  • /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/
  • Locate and select the following files in the SystemConfiguration folder
  • com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
    com.apple.network.eapolclient.configuration.plist
    com.apple.wifi.message-tracer.plist
    NetworkInterfaces.plist
    preferences.plist

1. Remove those matching files, you can either place them into a folder on the desktop as a rudimentary backup, place them into the Trash without emptying, or actually delete them
    2. After those matching wi-fi configuration files are out of the SystemConfiguration folder, reboot the Mac by going to the  Apple menu and choosing “Restart”
    3. When the Mac has booted back up as usual, go back to the Wi-Fi menu and choose “Turn Wi-Fi On” and join your typical wireless network

When the Mac boots back up and wi-fi is enabled again, for many users their wireless internet connection will immediately work again as expected. If that’s the case, be satisfied with the relatively easy troubleshooting process and you don’t need to proceed any further.It’s often a good idea to reboot the wi-fi router the Mac is connecting to as well, which can resolve some simpler wi-fi router issues that sometimes pop up with certain router brands and Macs. This is easiest in a home environment where you can just unplug the router, let it sit for a minute or so, then plug it back in again. Obviously for a work or school computing environment that may not be possible though.Is your wi-fi working? Great, then you don’t need to do anything else. But what if your wi-fi is still dropping, still slow, still losing a wi-fi connection randomly when waking from sleep or for no apparent reason? Read on for more troubleshooting tips.

2: Set a New Network Location with Custom MTU and DNS

Assuming you’ve already removed the wi-fi preference files in the first major troubleshooting section above and wi-fi is still problematic with mac OS Sierra, you can proceed

• Pull down the  Apple menu and choose “System Preferences”, then select “Network”
  • Choose Wi-Fi from the left list in the Network panel
  • Pull down the “Location” menu and select “Edit Locations”

• Click on the [+] plus button to create a new network location with an obvious name like “Custom WiFi Fix”

• Use the Network Name dropdown menu and select the wi-fi network you want to connect to
  • Now choose the “Advanced” button in the corner of the Network panel
  • Go to the “TCP/ IP” tab and choose “Renew DHCP Lease”

• Now go the “DNS” tab, and under the “DNS Servers” list section click on the [+] plus button, adding each IP onto it’s own entry: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 – these are Google Public DNS servers that are free to use by anyone but you can pick different custom DNS if you’d prefer

• Now select the “Hardware” tab and set the ‘Configure’ option to “Manually”, then adjust the “MTU” option to “Custom” and number to “1453”
  • Now click on “OK” and then click on “Apply” to set the network changes

Exit out of System Preferences and open an app that uses the internet like Safari, your wi-fi should work great now.

This troubleshooting method of specifying DNS (and, importantly, using known to be working DNS) with a lower custom MTU setting of 1453 is time tested and has routinely worked for resolving some of the most stubborn wi-fi networking problems in macOS Sierra and going further back to many prior Mac OS X releases too, each of which is often accompanied by some limited examples of wireless networking difficulties.

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.6), MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2011)

Posted on Jul 31, 2017 7:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2017 2:10 PM

As helpful as this looks to be, I wonder why we have to go through all of this when it is a problem caused by Apple? As others have said, this is not the first time an update cause problems with wireless networking. Why does Apple expect the customer to fix their software bugs? When I pay top price for Apple hardware and software I expect the Apple brand to be a promise that I am buying a reliable useful product. There have been several OS updates since this problem started but nothing done to fix it. How come?

7 replies
    Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2017 2:10 PM in response to JJ_92

As helpful as this looks to be, I wonder why we have to go through all of this when it is a problem caused by Apple? As others have said, this is not the first time an update cause problems with wireless networking. Why does Apple expect the customer to fix their software bugs? When I pay top price for Apple hardware and software I expect the Apple brand to be a promise that I am buying a reliable useful product. There have been several OS updates since this problem started but nothing done to fix it. How come?

Aug 2, 2017 4:28 AM in response to JJ_92

Anyone have any fixes for this? Resetting PRAM fixed the issue temporarily, and deleting settings fixed it temporarily but after a while my wifi download speed (according to speediest.net) drops from 200mbit to 12mbit (or less!). Applying the temporary fixed bring the speed back but this is far from ideal?

Apple... where is the fix!? This isn't the first time a OS update has broken WiFi!

Aug 14, 2017 2:49 PM in response to JJ_92

I had this same issue all morning. Tried EVERYTHING, from SMC to PRAM to deleting all the plists... essentially everything here: http://osxdaily.com/2016/09/22/fix-wi-fi-problems-macos-sierra/

Finally tried downloading Sierra again from the AppStore, fresh new download, and installed that - and wifi now works perfectly again.

Hope that helps - best of luck everyone.

WiFi Issues After macOS Sierra 10.12.6 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.