Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If i block someone on my iphone how long will they stay blocked? i deleted all trace of the number in the phone now the blocks are gone

Blocking callers

Posted on Aug 1, 2017 5:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2017 2:34 PM

What do blocked callers hear or see on their end if they call or text you?

10 replies

Oct 28, 2017 2:52 PM in response to GarrettDriskill

No it does not. The blocking is done purely on the device itself. It has nothing at all to do with your carrier nor your telephone number nor your SIM card. iOS blocking simply keeps a database of blocked numbers on the device itself and blocks them based on the incoming cal’sl caller ID string. It is purely a local handset specific blacklisting feature.

Oct 28, 2017 2:54 PM in response to GarrettDriskill

GarrettDriskill wrote:

it's not stored on the SIM card, its stored with the carrier, but it stays with the SIM card because it stays with the number. if you block someone on an iOS device then put the SIM card in an android phone, they will still be blocked.

Completely incorrect.

The only thing I would add to Michael's excellent answer is that the block list is synced to your Apple ID so that if you have more than one phone with the same Apple ID, the person will be blocked on both devices.

If i block someone on my iphone how long will they stay blocked? i deleted all trace of the number in the phone now the blocks are gone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.