Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How far away do you have to be from the Mac so that you can't auto-unlock?

It seems a little sketchy that you can just open someones computer and that it will be auto unlocked just because they're apple watch is near by. How far away do you have to be from the Mac so that you can't auto-unlock?

Apple Watch Series 2, watchOS 3.2.3

Posted on Aug 1, 2017 4:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2017 2:12 PM

I had previously posted the following:

I've found that it won't unlock if my watch is 10 feet away. I think it uses Bluetooth LE, which has a range of about 1 meter (~3 feet).

It was deleted by the hosts, because it contained some questionable advice. I was advised to test my answer (which I thought I did, but apparently not thoroughly enough). So here is more thorough testing using my MacBook Pro (note that results may be different for a MacBook Air).

• 12 inches: MBP unlocks
  • 24 inches: MBP unlocks
  • 36 inches: MBP unlocks
  • 44 inches: MBP unlocks
  • 48 inches: MBP unlocks
  • 54 inches: "Wireless connection too weak for Apple Watch to unlock this Mac"
  • Now titrating:
    • 50 inches: MBP unlocks
    • 52 inches: "Wireless connection too weak for Apple Watch to unlock this Mac"
    • 51 inches: "Wireless connection too weak for Apple Watch to unlock this Mac"
  • 56 inches: No recognition of watch on MBP

Tests were repeated with the same results 3 times. The 3rd was because the MBP crashed after going to sleep, and had to be shut down and restarted.

Thus, we can reasonably conclude that 48 inches (4 feet or 1.22 meters) is the maximum distance that the watch can be and still unlock a MacBook Pro.

And also the Hosts were correct; if I had tested, my guess of "about 1 meter" was wrong. It is actually 1.2 meters.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2017 2:12 PM in response to ZuBran

I had previously posted the following:

I've found that it won't unlock if my watch is 10 feet away. I think it uses Bluetooth LE, which has a range of about 1 meter (~3 feet).

It was deleted by the hosts, because it contained some questionable advice. I was advised to test my answer (which I thought I did, but apparently not thoroughly enough). So here is more thorough testing using my MacBook Pro (note that results may be different for a MacBook Air).

• 12 inches: MBP unlocks
  • 24 inches: MBP unlocks
  • 36 inches: MBP unlocks
  • 44 inches: MBP unlocks
  • 48 inches: MBP unlocks
  • 54 inches: "Wireless connection too weak for Apple Watch to unlock this Mac"
  • Now titrating:
    • 50 inches: MBP unlocks
    • 52 inches: "Wireless connection too weak for Apple Watch to unlock this Mac"
    • 51 inches: "Wireless connection too weak for Apple Watch to unlock this Mac"
  • 56 inches: No recognition of watch on MBP

Tests were repeated with the same results 3 times. The 3rd was because the MBP crashed after going to sleep, and had to be shut down and restarted.

Thus, we can reasonably conclude that 48 inches (4 feet or 1.22 meters) is the maximum distance that the watch can be and still unlock a MacBook Pro.

And also the Hosts were correct; if I had tested, my guess of "about 1 meter" was wrong. It is actually 1.2 meters.

Aug 2, 2017 7:00 AM in response to ZuBran

It really depends. Sometimes I am seeing the message that I need to move closer, when I am sitting right in front of my Mac. But occasionally my watch is showing me "Mac unlocked" on my watch, when I am in the neighboring room (the walls of our offices are very thin) and someone woke the Mac by touching the keyboard. Then I had to hurry back to see who is in my office.

Aug 2, 2017 6:07 AM in response to ZuBran

ZuBran wrote:

I was thinking more along the lines of that: I have an apple watch and I use auto-unlock for my Macbook Air. I then leave my computer locked. How far away do I have to be so that my computer won't unlock for a stranger when they open it?

I don't believe the computer will unlock if it's closed. However, if you're out of sight of your computer, I'd be more concerned about someone walking off with it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.