Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to install Window 10 in External SSD HDD using boot camp for MacBook Pro 2017

Just got the new MacBook Pro 2017 15 and would like to install Window 10 on my External SSD HDD using Boot Camp so I can boot Window from External HDD via thunderbolt 3 port without sacrificing internal storage . There are many video tutorials to do so on YouTube. However, I could not see the option to create a Windows 10 installation drive; I'm taken directly to a screen telling me that a new Windows partition will be created.

Is it possible to install Window 10 on external drive using boot camp for new MacBook Pro 2017 ?

Thanks !

Posted on Aug 1, 2017 7:15 PM

6 replies

Aug 1, 2017 7:19 PM in response to Tigereat

You cannot install Windows or boot Windows from an external drive.

Installing Windows with Boot Camp

Below are several links to Apple support articles about installing Windows on your Mac. Please read them carefully before embarking on your effort to run Windows on a Mac.

1. Boot Camp - Apple Support-2
  2. Use Windows 10 on your Mac with Boot Camp - Apple Support
  3. Create an ISO image for Boot Camp from Windows installation media
  4. Use Windows 10 on your Mac with Boot Camp
  5. Boot Camp Help
  6. How to install Windows using Boot Camp - Apple Support

Aug 2, 2017 8:30 AM in response to Loner T

Can you please explain in more details? I just wanted to make a bootable Window 10 on external SSD so I can have two options when starting the machine ( OSX or Window)

I dont see the Select Tasks window as shown in the tutorials at all. there is no option to install Window 10 or later to the install disk in my case. I'm taken directly to a screen telling me that a new Windows partition will be created.

So i couldn't follow the tutorial at all

Aug 2, 2017 3:27 PM in response to Tigereat

I have Macbook Pro 13inch 2017, I bought G Drive SSD from Apple Store and I used this youtube link, it basically uses wintousb file, you need window 10 iso file from the official windows, you need to get 64 bit, and if you have window os computer/laptop it will make the process easier since you can install the wintousb and follow the process...I tried installing window 7 on this macbook pro but does not seem to work, I was able to boot window 10 on my external ssd

Windows 10 Bootcamp on external Drive Installation Guide - YouTube

How to install Window 10 in External SSD HDD using boot camp for MacBook Pro 2017

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.