Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Nano 5th generation not charging?

I have a 5th generation iPod Nano and it is failing to charge fully. I have tried 2 different cords on both the computer and wall outlet. I've also tried holding down the middle button at the same time with the menu button (I've been making sure when I do this that it is in the "unhold" position).

It stays charged when it's plugged in but then when I unplug it, it still shows a low battery. What can I do? Thanks.

VIN,iPod nano (5th generation), null

Posted on Aug 2, 2017 5:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2017 8:37 AM

Not quite sure what you expect anyone to tell you.

1. If the iPod shows that it's being charged when you plug it in - that is; it shows the lightning symbol in the battery icon, then it is being charged.
  2. If it subsequently shows a plug symbol in the battery, then it is fully charged.
  3. If, when you unplug it, it then shows low battery straight away, that suggests there's something wrong with the battery. Perhaps it just reached the end of its life.
18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2017 8:37 AM in response to brettfromhendersonville

Not quite sure what you expect anyone to tell you.

1. If the iPod shows that it's being charged when you plug it in - that is; it shows the lightning symbol in the battery icon, then it is being charged.
  2. If it subsequently shows a plug symbol in the battery, then it is fully charged.
  3. If, when you unplug it, it then shows low battery straight away, that suggests there's something wrong with the battery. Perhaps it just reached the end of its life.

Sep 7, 2017 1:32 PM in response to brettfromhendersonville

Once again, Brett, what do you expect anyone to tell you? Seriously, what?

You have presumably already spent money trying to get the iPod fixed, but that has not worked. Now, despite being told by your repairer that the iPod is not repairable (and no, I don't know why that is either), you don't want to accept defeat.

The only answers to the three four questions you ask here:

1. So should I go somewhere else to see if they will repair the logic board and maybe that's it?
  2. Is that expensive
  3. and worth it?
  4. I don't understand why this place wouldn't just replace the logic board and try it?

... are:

1. If you want. It's your decision, no one else's.
  2. Depends. What do you regard as expensive?
  3. Again, that's your choice. Only you can decide
  4. You would have to ask that place since it was their decision.

At some point you have to decide how much money you're going to spend on this thing. At what point does it become beyond economic repair for you? I really don't know what you expect anyone here to tell you, we are only other iPod users, like you.

Aug 21, 2017 3:14 PM in response to the fiend

Ok so update: I took my iPod to a 3rd party and they changed out the battery. I just got it back. While leaving it charged and then unplugging it, it now stays on unlike before when I would charge it and then unplug it and then it wouldn't even come on. Now it comes on, but after charging it for a long time it only charged to a little less than halfway (looking at the icon at the top of the screen).

Ugh what the heck?

Aug 22, 2017 1:06 AM in response to brettfromhendersonville

brettfromhendersonville wrote:

... but after charging it for a long time it only charged to a little less than halfway (looking at the icon at the top of the screen).

Without knowing what your definition of "a long time" is, it is difficult to state categorically that there is a problem. While there is no definitive time to fully charge a new battery, I would leave it on charge for 24 hours before deciding there was an issue. As I mentioned previously, if the lightning bolt is showing in the battery icon, then it is being charged.

If you think there is a problem, then you should consult with the person who fitted the battery to find out what they think. They after all, have the experience with new batteries. Take the cable and charger with you.

Aug 31, 2017 2:00 PM in response to brettfromhendersonville

Another update: I got a hold of the tech from the 3rd party that was repairing my iPod for more specifics on it being "unrepairable". He said it thinks it could be something wrong with the logic board that needs replacing and it just wasn't worth it for them to repair anymore.

So should I go somewhere else to see if they will repair the logic board and maybe that's it? Is that expensive and worth it? I don't understand why this place wouldn't just replace the logic board and try it? He said it was difficult but still...

iPod Nano 5th generation not charging?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.