Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adware/malware/virus on iPhone ?

Hello,

I recently encountered a strange issue on my iPhone 7 . Whenever i open a specific site with Safari, i always get also a new tab opened with an ad .

I always close it, and clear history and website data , but i was wondering ,could it be an adware/malware/virus on my iPhone ?

I don't have any issue browsing on other pages , no redirects no pop-ups, nothing . Just on that specific site , i always get the same ad opened or at least a similar one.

I searched on the internet the name of the site that opens as an ad, and it says it's a virus , that some adware is installed on your computer . I found that this affects all browsers and all OS and for all of those there are ways to remove it . But there is nothing about iPhone , and not a way to know that it is present or how to remove it (the behavior for other users that say they have encountered this is that this site opens on any site they are browsing , so this is a little different behavior than mine).

I even reinstall the OS via iTunes , and still on that site same behavior . I tried on both , wireless and mobile data and same behavior . I also tried with 2 devices with different OS , there i also get an ad but it's not the same one . From settings i have the following options for Safari : Do Not track , Fraudulent Website Warning , Block Pop-ups.

To mention the issue is not present anymore if i turn off Javascript.

So to sum up everything - is it possible to have a adware/malware/virus , or it is another issue ?

iPhone 7, iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Aug 2, 2017 11:43 PM

7 replies

Aug 2, 2017 11:53 PM in response to seventy one

I am the original owner and user , and no , the device is not Jailbroken , that is illegal i think .

Regarding adware , is there any way to remove it ? Or what harm can it cause ? Except the issues encountered with that specific site . Also just to mention , to be clearer on this situation , i never clicked on the opened ad , i close it immediately .

Aug 3, 2017 12:16 AM in response to seventy one

Thanks seventy one ! So based on that document from Apple , if you don't click that ad , you should be safe , because if you don't install anything not from appstore , or share any personal information willingly , nothing can happen. Just need to close that ad and move on , at least for the iPhone case while running the last OS .

I was concerned that i have some virus or something installed on my device , that could compromise my personal information , or emails and so on.

Aug 3, 2017 12:24 AM in response to iPhone7user2017

Happy to have helped. On the basis of what you tell me, I'm sure you haven't compromised your phone.

Reading a formally delivered email does not compromise you; it is clicking on leads in the contents that is the problem.

If you see something you want to download or something you are unsure about, ask here first. Someone wiill always try to help.

Aug 3, 2017 12:31 AM in response to seventy one

So the issue was that i thought i got a virus/adware/malware from Safari , and due to that i could have had the email compromised or someone trying to get my email info and contents . But as far as i know due to sandboxing , issue on one app cannot propagate on another app , only if you explicitly allow it .

Also i follow all security recommendations from Apple , i am using Touch ID and also a code longer than the standard one , i have two-factor authentication set-up , also for email client the same set-up .

But reading something online about viruses can get you paranoid.

Adware/malware/virus on iPhone ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.