Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 2012 White and black stripes on the monitor!

iMac 27" core i5 AMD Radeon

OSX: El Capitan

I have a serous problem, my iMac have White and black stripes on the monitor, if i restart after typical Apple Sound, next white background with little Apple grey....show White and black stripes about 2/3 minute.

User uploaded file

And then restarts on a continuous cycle always with the same sequence, what could it be?

I suspect the problem is the video card, how can it even after 5 years of low usage?

Thanks to everyone for help

Final Cut Pro X, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 3, 2017 1:07 AM

6 replies

Aug 7, 2017 5:43 AM in response to CarlAVII

Unfortunately the problem lies in the video card, among other things, my iMac is through the mid-2011 half mid 2012 mid-generation serial number defective for known issues with the AMD video card Radeon HD 6970M con 1GB di memoria GDDR5, only I have never had official communication from Apple And clearly now that the problem is outlined they tell me that the 3 years have passed when the replacement was free.

This is not right at all, because a machine flawed in its architecture, even by replacing it in the future, might reappear the problem, that is, you produce and sell gold a machine that has manufacturing defects and I have to pay for the consequences?

Among other things a modest video card 700€ ???

I know a lot of buggy, in fact iMac fix I believe to cause lawsuit or lawsuit to Apple

Really disappointed by this absurd philosophy!

Aug 7, 2017 6:55 AM in response to Community User

I understand your disappointment, but the philosophy is not all that absurd.

(auto manufactures would go out of business, if they replaced your engine every 100,000 miles)

Apple had an extended repair program for a time, but unfortunately yours went on beyond that point in time.

(remember that AMD made those graphic's cards and Apple was just as much a victim here as you)

I know it doesn't help, but personally I would buy another machine instead of spending a wad on that machine.

Aug 7, 2017 7:34 AM in response to Community User

We are all end users just like you, Apple does not read or participate in these forums.

You are correct, Apple did not send out an e-mail or call you. If you have feedback for Apple, please feel free to submit it at www.apple.com/feedback. You can also take the machine back to the store you purchased it from, BTW it's a 2011 and not a 2012 and ask for assistance. You can also attempt to have the machine repaired assuming the parts are still available.

Sorry, I know this is not what you wanted to read however I believe they are your best options.

Aug 7, 2017 7:34 AM in response to Community User

videostorm wrote:

Clear what you say, but I can throw only after 5 years iMac 2.200 € ???

If your into major computer DIY projects, then another option would be to fix it yourself for less.

see > https://www.google.com/search+change+graphics+card+in+2011+imac+27

I never received an email or official telephone communication ALERT me for an iMac with structural serious problem.

This is a user to user forum and Apple dose not participate here.

To talk to Apple, you will need to start out at > Contact Apple Support

Aug 7, 2017 7:11 AM in response to den.thed

Clear what you say, but I can throw only after 5 years iMac 2.200 € ???

I never received an email or official telephone communication ALERT me for an iMac with structural serious problem.

iMac 2012 White and black stripes on the monitor!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.