You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes will not convert my FLAC to MP3?

The article https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204310 says iTunes will convert my flac files and import them. Sounds great but in practice doesn't work. I am getting a message that says "the selected files cannot be converted". Why will this feature not work?

iPhone 6s, Windows 10

Posted on Aug 3, 2017 10:45 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2017 2:18 PM

I did read it. Nowhere in the article does it state that iTunes can convert or even import FLAC files. It doesn't mention FLAC at all.

I repeat, as far as I'm aware (and I have checked) iTunes does not support FLAC audio. It cannot import it.

bikeshasta wrote:

I have conversion programs but find the whole process very tedious and storage consuming (having to maintain flac and MP3 files)

Then why are you doing so if it causes you so much grief? Is it not possible to source this audio in a format that iTunes does support? The universal format is (the standard quality) MP3, is that not offered by that source? After all, you're converting to MP3 anyway.

bikeshasta wrote:

.... and if iTunes would do it upon import that would be very convenient and obviate an obvious deficiency of iTunes not being able to handle flac natively.

But iTunes doesn't handle FLAC, so stop going on about it. To be precise, the only format that iTunes converts on import is from CD (CDs show as .wav format in Windows). Other conversions are handled within iTunes but under user control, so just as time consuming.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 4, 2017 2:18 PM in response to bikeshasta

I did read it. Nowhere in the article does it state that iTunes can convert or even import FLAC files. It doesn't mention FLAC at all.

I repeat, as far as I'm aware (and I have checked) iTunes does not support FLAC audio. It cannot import it.

bikeshasta wrote:

I have conversion programs but find the whole process very tedious and storage consuming (having to maintain flac and MP3 files)

Then why are you doing so if it causes you so much grief? Is it not possible to source this audio in a format that iTunes does support? The universal format is (the standard quality) MP3, is that not offered by that source? After all, you're converting to MP3 anyway.

bikeshasta wrote:

.... and if iTunes would do it upon import that would be very convenient and obviate an obvious deficiency of iTunes not being able to handle flac natively.

But iTunes doesn't handle FLAC, so stop going on about it. To be precise, the only format that iTunes converts on import is from CD (CDs show as .wav format in Windows). Other conversions are handled within iTunes but under user control, so just as time consuming.

Aug 4, 2017 12:42 PM in response to the fiend

I don't know if you had a chance to read the iTunes support link provided. My takeaway (maybe wrong) was that people are using iTunes to convert FLAC files while/when adding them to their library. I have conversion programs but find the whole process very tedious and storage consuming (having to maintain flac and MP3 files) and if iTunes would do it upon import that would be very convenient and obviate an obvious deficiency of iTunes not being able to handle flac natively.

iTunes will not convert my FLAC to MP3?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.