Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch: Battery Alerts

The battery alert on the Apple watch needs to alert you earlier. Once its down to 10% you pretty much need to charge it there and then. I would like a count down warning at 30%, 20% and 10% from my experience this would stop the whole getting to work the next day only to find its down to less than 25% which has no chance of lasting the day issue.

Apple Watch Series 2, watchOS 3.2.3

Posted on Aug 4, 2017 1:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2017 1:31 AM

Doddsyuk wrote:

.. from my experience this would stop the whole getting to work the next day only to find its down to less than 25% ..

You may find it most convenient to charge your Apple Watch nightly, overnight.

Apple advises that you can charge Apple Watch whenever you want. The battery cannot be overcharged and there is no need to let it discharge to any particular level first, nor any benefit to be gained from doing so:

Batteries - Why Lithium-ion? - Apple

Apple's tips for maximising battery life and battery lifespan on Apple Watch are detailed here:

https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/#watchtips

The battery will not suffer any harm from regular charging. Charging will stop automatically when the battery is fully charged and start again if and when required due to ongoing battery usage.

Be sure to follow Apple's safety and handling instructions (see the links below) and also note that:

• It is not possible to turn the watch off whilst it is on the charger and connected to power - this is normal.
  • It is also normal for your watch, power adapter and charging cable to become warm when connected to power.

You may also find (the optional) Nightstand Mode useful:

Use Nightstand mode on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

More information:

https://www.apple.com/watch/battery.html

Check your battery and charge your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Keep Apple Watch within acceptable operating temperatures - Apple Support

Important safety information

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2017 1:31 AM in response to Doddsyuk

Doddsyuk wrote:

.. from my experience this would stop the whole getting to work the next day only to find its down to less than 25% ..

You may find it most convenient to charge your Apple Watch nightly, overnight.

Apple advises that you can charge Apple Watch whenever you want. The battery cannot be overcharged and there is no need to let it discharge to any particular level first, nor any benefit to be gained from doing so:

Batteries - Why Lithium-ion? - Apple

Apple's tips for maximising battery life and battery lifespan on Apple Watch are detailed here:

https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/#watchtips

The battery will not suffer any harm from regular charging. Charging will stop automatically when the battery is fully charged and start again if and when required due to ongoing battery usage.

Be sure to follow Apple's safety and handling instructions (see the links below) and also note that:

• It is not possible to turn the watch off whilst it is on the charger and connected to power - this is normal.
  • It is also normal for your watch, power adapter and charging cable to become warm when connected to power.

You may also find (the optional) Nightstand Mode useful:

Use Nightstand mode on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

More information:

https://www.apple.com/watch/battery.html

Check your battery and charge your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Keep Apple Watch within acceptable operating temperatures - Apple Support

Important safety information

Aug 4, 2017 1:43 AM in response to Doddsyuk

As I hoped to explain - and as Apple advises:

"Charge your Apple lithium-ion battery whenever you want. There’s no need to let it discharge 100% before recharging. Apple lithium-ion batteries work in charge cycles. You complete one charge cycle when you’ve used (discharged) an amount that equals 100% of your battery’s capacity — but not necessarily all from one charge".

"With lithium-ion batteries, the capacity diminishes slightly with each complete charge cycle".

More information: Batteries - Why Lithium-ion? - Apple

The battery on Apple Watch is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 1,000 complete charge cycles.

Aug 4, 2017 1:37 AM in response to Jonathan UK

In my experience battery life on lithium-ion batteries greatly reduces if you charge it too frequently. All my Apple products I have ever owned I have let the battery run down as much as possible before charging and the battery life is retained for the life of the item. My friends who put them on charge everyday end up having to charge them midday because they don't last a full day anymore.

Apple Watch: Battery Alerts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.