Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos not uploading to iCloud

My Mac photo library had been stuck uploading 15,000 photos to iCloud (out of 30,000 photos) for days. In order to fix this, I toggled on and off syncing Photos to iCloud in system preferences, which kick started the upload process from the beginning again. There was 128GB of data to upload and it took 24 hrs to complete. However, once the uploading of the 128GB of data was complete, Photos indicated there were still 7,000 photos to upload. Photos is now stuck with 7,000 photos to upload and will not move.

I am using MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 and all available updates are installed.

Any suggestions on why the upload would complete, but then still have 7,000 photos to upload? I am reluctant to restart the process from the beginning again.

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Aug 4, 2017 4:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2017 11:21 AM

Yes turning iCloud off and back on triggers a new total upload to verify library integrity - it should only be a last resort and is very seldom necessary or the solution

Is it stalled or very slow? The upload only works while the Mac is awake, powered and connected to the internet so keep it awake and powered and leave it alone to finish - as to upload speed bigger files (video, etc) take longer so depending on the undisclosed makeup of your library the upload time will vary greatly

To see if there are any problem photos make two smart albums - file menu ==> new smart album - and see if they have any photos in thme

1 - Photo - is - referenced

2 - Photo - is - unable to upload to iCloud Photo Library

LN

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2017 11:21 AM in response to Doodaroonie

Yes turning iCloud off and back on triggers a new total upload to verify library integrity - it should only be a last resort and is very seldom necessary or the solution

Is it stalled or very slow? The upload only works while the Mac is awake, powered and connected to the internet so keep it awake and powered and leave it alone to finish - as to upload speed bigger files (video, etc) take longer so depending on the undisclosed makeup of your library the upload time will vary greatly

To see if there are any problem photos make two smart albums - file menu ==> new smart album - and see if they have any photos in thme

1 - Photo - is - referenced

2 - Photo - is - unable to upload to iCloud Photo Library

LN

Aug 4, 2017 9:20 AM in response to LarryHN

I'm having the same issue as the OP so I followed your instructions for the smart albums and there are no files in either.

I had added several GoPro videos last week, all pretty short in length. I didn't realize this was causing issues until later when I noticed literally nothing was uploading anymore. At the same time, I was going through my Photos app and deleting various pictures (3000+), making a few smart albums, and trimming the GoPro videos worth saving. Then it hit me, "I'm not sure that anything is syncing anymore." So I toggled the syncing of the photos to the cloud and allowed it to delete some files and start the resync. iPad and iPhone are at 8088 photos with 603 videos whereas the Photos app in OS X has 3176 photos with 497 videos, and once the progress bar of uploading 72.68GB stopped, it was showing "uploading 562 items" without a progress bar for quite awhile. So, am I to just assume that it might just be running super slow? I know with the exception of the GoPro videos I added (and trimmed), everything I've taken on my iPhone is already in the cloud and just not syncing to my computer. It is one of those situations that I just need to be patient, leave it for a couple days and see what happens?

Any help you could provide would be amazing.

Thank you!

Aug 4, 2017 9:40 AM in response to rewind3487

and again

That upload may take days or even weeks depending on the library content with videos taking much more time that photos because they are much larger as posted

as to upload speed bigger files (video, etc) take longer so depending on the undisclosed makeup of your library the upload time will vary greatly

So yes once you choose to trigger a new upload patience is the answer

LN

Aug 4, 2017 9:50 AM in response to LarryHN

Thanks for replying. I have the computer set to not sleep etc so that it continues to upload. Once the 128GB was uploaded (it took 24 hours), the upload bar disappeared, and now just sits as 7,000 photos uploading. There seems to be no more progress. My internet connection speed is fairly good so I would have expected to see at least some progress by now.

I followed your suggestion and I have one photo in the unable to upload to iCloud smart folder. Should I delete this and see if that makes a difference?

Aug 7, 2017 3:11 AM in response to LarryHN

Thanks. Ive now deleted the offending photo and waited to see if the upload process would kick off again. No joy, still sitting on 7,000 photos. Have waited a couple of days and left the computer running to see if there would be any progress, but there has been none. Is there anything else I can try now I have deleted the photo which wouldn't upload?

Photos not uploading to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.