Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two-Step Verification: Locked Out - How can I regain access?

So, this is probably pretty stupid of me to ask, but I'll ask anyway.

About a month ago, my iPhone broke, and was said that repairs could not have been made (but luckily I backed up all of my data to iCloud and iTunes right before it happened). So I bought a new iPhone 6 weeks after gathering enough money, and restored all of the data.

But here's the problem: When I try to log in to my Apple ID / iCloud, it brings up the "Two-Step Verification" window. Thing is, the only device I trusted was my old (now broken) iPhone. And I never set up a trusted phone number either, so now I'm basically locked out of my Apple ID. I can't even log on the website from my iMac, so I created a new temporary Apple ID for asking this.

Is there any way I can possibly retrieve my account? I don't know much of how Apple IDs work, so it would really be helpful if I can get some information on how to solve this predicament of mine. (I don't want to lose years-worth of data, please 😢)

iPhone 6, iOS 9.3.5, null

Posted on Aug 4, 2017 7:46 AM

11 replies

Aug 4, 2017 5:18 PM in response to Mythless

Are you really using 2-step verification and not two-factor authentication? - the difference is important. The phrasing of one of hour sentences tends to imply you are using the latter, though you do specifically say the former.

If you are using the more recently introduced two-factor authentication and don't have a trusted device or phone number, Apple say:

'If you can’t sign in, reset your password, or receive verification codes, you can request account recovery to regain access to your account. Account recovery is an automatic process designed to get you back in to your account as quickly as possible while denying access to anyone who might be pretending to be you. It might take a few days—or longer—depending on what specific account information you can provide to verify your identity.'

However if you are using two-step verification you need two of three things: the password (which you know), a trusted device to receive a code as an SMS (which you don't have), and the Recovery Key which you were given when you opened the method and were told to keep safe. If you have no trusted device, and have lost the Recovery Key, then you are locked out and no-one, including Apple, can help you.

So as you see it depends on which method you are using.

Aug 5, 2017 7:15 PM in response to Mythless

I sympathize with you on this as I had this problem last weekend and had to use my husband's cell phone as an alternate device. Once they tell you you're in recovery, they say it can take days. But, I was surprised that mine took maybe three hours and I have a lot of stuff on my iPhone 5S. Bravo for keeping your iPhone backed up because that was a relief to me too! I hope yours goes quickly too.

Two-Step Verification: Locked Out - How can I regain access?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.