Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hacker demanding $50 ransom MacBook (apple.device@***)

My icloud account was accessed via a windows computer some days back (I only noticed the email notifying me of this later). 2 days ago I accessed the internet using my MacBook pro, immediately I received a message from iCloud on clicking this my mac shut down only to reboot to a grey screen with requiring a 6 digit passcode (which I don't have). I have regained control of my iCloud account and tried using the "find my phone" app on my iPad to unlock the MacBook. This has however proved futile as the lock icon displayed underneath the MacBook icon on the app is inactive. I would like to go to an Apple Store as suggested on some discussions on this forum but there isn't one in Nigeria. The hacker is asking for $50 in bitcoins. Should I just pay him since apple can't seem to help me based on my geographic location. what do I do? Someone please help!!!

<Email Edited by Host>

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.5), Mid 2014

Posted on Aug 4, 2017 8:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2017 8:10 AM

There is absolutely no guarantee they will do anything to help, paid or otherwise.

going forward You may wish to change your Apple ID log/pass with a password you do not use for any other on line service. If you use your same log/pass combo with another service (e.g. Yahoo, Twitter, Facebook, etc.) and that service is "hacked" then the perpetrators have to only try typing this same combo in any other service to get into your other accounts.

Change your Apple ID password - Apple Support

contact apple

apple.com/contact

Change the Email associated with the ID if you wish to remove the email in use:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202667

Also consider enabling two factor authentication if you have not done so already.

Availability of two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2017 8:10 AM in response to Maestro13911

There is absolutely no guarantee they will do anything to help, paid or otherwise.

going forward You may wish to change your Apple ID log/pass with a password you do not use for any other on line service. If you use your same log/pass combo with another service (e.g. Yahoo, Twitter, Facebook, etc.) and that service is "hacked" then the perpetrators have to only try typing this same combo in any other service to get into your other accounts.

Change your Apple ID password - Apple Support

contact apple

apple.com/contact

Change the Email associated with the ID if you wish to remove the email in use:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202667

Also consider enabling two factor authentication if you have not done so already.

Availability of two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

Hacker demanding $50 ransom MacBook (apple.device@***)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.