Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are apps more expensive on IOS than Android?

Recently I noticed that some applications have a very large difference in price depending on the platform you are using. For example, Art of Conquest (a game) will charge $4.99 US for a monthly package if you are on Android but $6.99 US if you are on IOS. The app already has some of the highest prices for some of its items (some hero packages are $139.99 US for IOS and $99.99 for Android) but why is there such a big difference just because of the platform?

I contacted the developers of the app and they said that Apple was the one charging the extra money. I would think that we already pay a premium price for our products without having to pay extra for the "privilege" of also using an application on it. Anything you can add or that may explain the price difference? Is it really so complicated to adapt an application to IOS that Apple has to charge a premium to its users?

Posted on Aug 4, 2017 6:47 PM

12 replies

Aug 4, 2017 7:16 PM in response to Ricado

Is the iOS version of an app, generally, better than its Android version?

With many iOS apps, the answer is, usually, a resounding Yes!

App developers usually favor app developement on iOS than Android because they know Apple users will pay more of a premium price for a better app experince than Android settlers, like you, who care more about price than the quality of how good an app is.

Also, Apple takes a "premium" percentage cut for developers to sell their apps on the iOS App Store.

So, there maybe a price increase to compensate for Apple's cut of the costs the app developer charges for an app!

Aug 4, 2017 7:36 PM in response to MichelPM

They are basically the same (although I have only had the chance to compare them on phones, not on my iPad and then another Android tablet). The developer explains the charge as "automatic" by Apple but from what you explained, maybe it's not so automatic and they add the extra charge to make up for what Apple charged them to sell their apps

Aug 4, 2017 10:11 PM in response to MichelPM

Also, Apple takes a "premium" percentage cut for developers to sell their apps on the iOS App Store.

So, there maybe a price increase to compensate for Apple's cut of the costs the app developer charges for an app!

Actually, both Apple and Google take 30% of the App price as their cut. There's no difference there between the two platforms.

Transaction fees - Play Console Help

Aug 4, 2017 9:24 PM in response to Ricado

Ricado wrote:

They are basically the same (although I have only had the chance to compare them on phones, not on my iPad and then another Android tablet). The developer explains the charge as "automatic" by Apple but from what you explained, maybe it's not so automatic and they add the extra charge to make up for what Apple charged them to sell their apps

The developers probably charge what the market will bear. If the developers think they can get iPhone users to pay more, they're certainly going to try.

Aug 5, 2017 3:13 AM in response to Briansyddall

Thanks for the response Brian. I think you might have misunderstood my question, I never said anybody here worked for Apple. I am quite aware this is a user-to-user forum and that is why my question ended with "Anything you can add or that may explain the price difference? Is it really so complicated to adapt an application to IOS that Apple has to charge a premium to its users?" I was just trying to find out if anybody had any knowledge on why there is a price difference. If you read some of the other answers, you will see info about how much each platform charges, opinions about market value and market demand, etc. That's all I was looking for. Cheers

Aug 5, 2017 3:26 AM in response to Ricado

Ricado wrote:

Thanks for the response. I think bottom line what bugs me the most is the blatant lying of the developers blaming Apple and saying that they are the ones "charging extra" for the in-app purchases. Wish there was a way to report developers like that

You can vote with your wallet.

Aug 5, 2017 9:15 AM in response to Ricado

Ricado wrote:

Thanks for the response. I think bottom line what bugs me the most is the blatant lying of the developers blaming Apple and saying that they are the ones "charging extra" for the in-app purchases. Wish there was a way to report developers like that

You are mistaken about this.

App developers are charging extra for in-app purchases, not Apple.

Once again, Apple takes a 30% share of an in-app purchase.

Not all App developers have an in-app purchase and those that do, is their way of making/generating more money for their app/s.

The in-app purchase actually helps App developers continue to support and improve their apps on iOS.

It's the App developers that make extra money on the In-App purchases.

It's their way to make additional money for their app development efforts.

Why are apps more expensive on IOS than Android?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.