Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot download pages, numbers, nor keynote on my iPad 2 anymore?? Help!!

I reset my iPad 2 and when I go to put my apps back on it it says I can no longer download these apps?? Pages, numbers, keynote. Help!! That's not cool! I need those for my work

Posted on Aug 5, 2017 9:33 AM

13 replies

Aug 5, 2017 9:59 AM in response to Bdarmy

The new versions of Pages, Numbers and Keynote require iOS 10 or later.

If you need a compatible version for iOS 9, you'll need to download the incompatible versions via iTunes on a computer first, so they are associated with your Apple ID, and then follow the steps here to get compatible versions on your iPad.

Install an app on an earlier version of iOS or OS X - Apple Support

You do not need to connect the iPad to the computer at any time. Just download the Apps in iTunes, and then find them in Purchased tab in the App Store App on your iPad.

Note as mentioned this method may stop working once iOS11 iks released.

Aug 5, 2017 9:47 AM in response to Bdarmy

Those apps require iOS 10 and your iPad cannot run higher than 9.3.5. There used to be a workaround for this. It is explained here.

App Store: Downloading Older Versions of Apps - Apple Club

Apple used to have a support document explaining the same process that is explained in the link above. I can't find it now. I may have missed the article, but it may have been pulled since iOS 11 will be released soon and only 64 bit apps will work in that version. Maybe that has something to do with my inability to find the Apple support document. It may irrelevant soon. Just a guess.

Aug 5, 2017 9:52 AM in response to Bdarmy

If you have a computer running iTunes, try downloading the app in iTunes using the same Apple ID that you used to download the app on the iPad. You will be downloading the latest versions of the apps. Then try and download the app from the purchased tab of the App Store and see if you get the option to download the compatible version for the 9.3.5.

You have to remember that it is up to the developer to make older versions of the apps available and it wouldn't surprise me at all of Apple decided to pull the older versions. I don't know that for a fact, but nothing Apple does surprises me anymore.

Aug 5, 2017 10:51 AM in response to Demo

Yes, it has been archived for a while. I had questioned why it was archived a while back, no answer was given, but now it seems obvious with what we know is coming.

Have not attempted to do it recently, so it may not work anymore, or there is the possibility as Diana points out, that Apple has pulled the older versions so they are not available any more.

Lets wait and see if Bdarmy is able to do it. Beyond that, there's unfortunately no other way to get those Apps on that iPad anymore.

Aug 5, 2017 10:57 AM in response to Bdarmy

Bdarmy wrote:

I just got done talking to apple support technician. They said they are retiring old iPads and the sorts. So you cannot download old versions of their apps anymore.

As I said, that comes as no surprise to me. I'm sorry that you can't download your apps again, and I know that you don't want to hear this, but support for the iPad 2 is all but gone now.

I cannot download pages, numbers, nor keynote on my iPad 2 anymore?? Help!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.