Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stop duplication across devices

Hi All

I have an iPhone 6S.

I bought my wife an SE and used my apple ID to set it up - all good, it works independently.

I bought an SE for each of my children again using my apple ID - if one downloads an app, it appears on the other child's phone. Photos from my phone are appearing on one of the children's phones.

I want all devices to share my apple ID but be independent - i.e. not have to have the same apps or see each others photos.

Can anyone explain please how to arrange the above, ideally without needing to do a factory reset and start again.

iPhone SE

Posted on Aug 6, 2017 12:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2017 1:00 AM

Apple ID's are designed to be used independently, they are not designed to be used for multiple people. They can be used on multiple devices, but then you are going to see what it is that you are seeing at the moment where apps and pictures and things will be available to the devices tied to the Apple ID. That being said, there are ways to stop it from automatically downloading apps that are downloaded on other devices, but as far as pictures and things go, if you have them attached to your Apple ID and your iCloud then it's going to give you erratic behavior.

Your best bet if you want to be able to share apps and things like that is to create an Apple ID that is different for all the members of your family and create an Apple Family Sharing account. This allows the members of your family to have their own Apple ID's and keep all their devices unique, but still will let you share apps, music, and video that you have purchased.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 6, 2017 1:00 AM in response to PiersCV

Apple ID's are designed to be used independently, they are not designed to be used for multiple people. They can be used on multiple devices, but then you are going to see what it is that you are seeing at the moment where apps and pictures and things will be available to the devices tied to the Apple ID. That being said, there are ways to stop it from automatically downloading apps that are downloaded on other devices, but as far as pictures and things go, if you have them attached to your Apple ID and your iCloud then it's going to give you erratic behavior.

Your best bet if you want to be able to share apps and things like that is to create an Apple ID that is different for all the members of your family and create an Apple Family Sharing account. This allows the members of your family to have their own Apple ID's and keep all their devices unique, but still will let you share apps, music, and video that you have purchased.

Aug 6, 2017 1:13 AM in response to PiersCV

You will create a new Apple ID for each of your family members. Then on their phones, goto Settings and at the top you'll see the Apple ID that it is logged into. Once you click on that, scroll to the bottom of the screen and click "Sign Out". After signing out, you'll be able to sign into the new Apple ID that you created. Just do this on each device that you are wanting to make different from yours and will connect to the new Apple ID that you created.

Then you can start Family Sharing, add all the Apple ID's that you just created and you'll all be able to share apps, music, and videos that you purchase. Whoever is the one that sets up the Family Sharing, their card will be the card that is used to authorize all purchases, but you do have the ability to make the other users ask for your permission first and you'll have to authorize them before your card will be charged. If you purchase something like an app, everyone that is in your Family Sharing will be able to see the purchased apps that you have and be able to download and use them as well.

Aug 6, 2017 2:04 AM in response to PiersCV

Hi

This is because you are all using the same apple I'd All devices using same I'd Will get the same information.

Your wife need her own apple I'd & the kids can have there own if they are 13 or over

If they are younger then family sharing.

Go to i books download ios 10 user guide & iPhone /ipad user guide both are free.

Cheers

Brian 🇬-1F1E7;

Stop duplication across devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.