Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove an apple ID that does not exist anymore

I just bought a new iPhone SE today and I transferred all the data from my old iPhone 5 to my new phone (via iTunes). However, that iPhone 5 was used by my dad and I have never been able to change the apple ID on that phone, as he forgot his password while at the same time the emailadress does not exist anymore.

During the transferring of the data also the apple ID of my dad has been transferred to my new phone. At this moment my new iPhone SE asks for the old password of my dad every minute. I get sick of it. And I can't change the password or access the apple id account via https://appleid.apple.com/#!&page=signin or Recover Your Apple ID - Applesince i get an error telling me that the account does not exist anymore!

And I can't reset my phone without the password!

So the question is how to get rid of my old dad's account?

iPhone SE, iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Aug 7, 2017 5:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2017 6:51 PM

My new 7+ was partially restored at the Sprint store, but somehow, the new phone is asking for the password to an apple ID that no longer exists. Your comments above say it exists forever, but if that is the case, why does Apple tell me the AppleID does not exist?

How can I restore my phone to factory settings when I am asked for a password to an Apple ID that doesn't exist per Apple?

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2017 6:51 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

My new 7+ was partially restored at the Sprint store, but somehow, the new phone is asking for the password to an apple ID that no longer exists. Your comments above say it exists forever, but if that is the case, why does Apple tell me the AppleID does not exist?

How can I restore my phone to factory settings when I am asked for a password to an Apple ID that doesn't exist per Apple?

Aug 14, 2017 8:27 AM in response to LACAllen

Yes, I did change the email address associated with the Apple ID. I can use the current apple ID no problem.

The issue I have is my new phone shows my AppleID to be the old one in Settings, and I don't have the password for it which is required to turn off Find iPhone which I need to do in order to reset the phone.

The store that did the backup of old phone and restore to new phone somehow only managed to download/restore info up to the year 2014, so I don't have a ton of contacts, etc. which I need.

When I am in Settings, my Apple ID shows my correct name, but the old email address. I cannot sign out, change password, restore, or anything. I have tried to reset password, but when I enter the Apple ID, it says it is not a valid Apple ID.

Aug 7, 2017 5:13 PM in response to roscanzu

Apple ID accounts never die; they exist forever. Even if the email address changes, the account remains. And purchases made with an Apple account remain with that account forever. So you will have to delete all content purchased or downloaded with that account, and re-purchase it. Or recover the account and use it.

Note also that, while the Apple ID is an email address, it is also a user ID. If you have the password you can still use the old email address to log in to https://appleid.apple.com to change the email address. If you have trouble with that you can contact Apple's Account Security Team by following this link: Apple ID: Contacting Apple for help with Apple ID account security or by calling and asking for help with account security: Apple phone contacts

Aug 13, 2017 7:11 PM in response to Shadobender

I am asked for a password to an Apple ID that doesn't exist per Apple?

This can happen when the email address associated with an Apple ID is changed. the Apple ID still exists, but with a different "name"

Did your Dad ever change the email address for his Apple ID?

If this is just for some apps, you can remove those apps to stop the prompts.

Aug 14, 2017 8:55 AM in response to LACAllen

Thank you very much for such a quick reply. I was able to turn off Find iPhone, after several errors, so password works (I thought I had tried it several times, but maybe not).

Now for the bigger question, any idea why only info up to 2014 was backed up/transferred to my new iPhone? I went to the store where I bought the phone and they did the process, but my texts, emails, and contacts did not all come over (again, nothing past 2014, which might be the time period I changed the email address...)

Any ideas? I was going to do the backup and restore process again (after resetting new iPhone), to see if it would work.

But, is it possible the two Apple ID's might be causing the problem?

Thanks again!

How to remove an apple ID that does not exist anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.