Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 7 screen randomly cracked itself

Hi,

I have an Iphone 7 phone, today, I just realized a crack/scratch on it. You may say, which one, well, it looks like a crack but then when you touch it is on the surface.

I went to Apple Store and they said, there is no known issue - we all know that companies do not admit this. So, they are asking $129 to fix it.

Couple weeks ago, similar thing happened to my wife's phone but I was asking her whether she dropped or anything but since the exact pattern happened to my iPhone, different spot but identical pattern, this makes me believe that there must be something with the phone. It is highly unlikely that we did the exact thing on phone's screen.

Has anyone experienced similar thing? Is it just a coincident that this happened to 2 phones randomly?

iPhone 7, iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Aug 8, 2017 1:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2017 1:34 PM

johnhurley77 wrote:

Is it just a coincident that this happened to 2 phones randomly?

It may be a coincidence, but more likely, you and your wife provided some similar environment to cause these both to happen. After all, there are millions of iPhone 7s out there, and the overwhelming majority have no issues like yours. So perhaps both were exposed to too much heat, bending, or some other environmental cause.

I've used my iPhone 7 heavily since September 2016 and it is just fine.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2017 1:34 PM in response to johnhurley77

johnhurley77 wrote:

Is it just a coincident that this happened to 2 phones randomly?

It may be a coincidence, but more likely, you and your wife provided some similar environment to cause these both to happen. After all, there are millions of iPhone 7s out there, and the overwhelming majority have no issues like yours. So perhaps both were exposed to too much heat, bending, or some other environmental cause.

I've used my iPhone 7 heavily since September 2016 and it is just fine.

Aug 8, 2017 4:21 PM in response to johnhurley77

Posting photos here will not accomplish anything, we are all users like yourself. Apple employees are trained in what to look for in damaged screens. A swollen battery can crack the screen from the inside but that would be apparent when the tech looked at it. It is also easy to see when the crack occurred from external damage. If you disagree with the tech go back and ask to talk to the service manager. If that doesn't work contact Apple Customer Service.

Aug 8, 2017 9:04 PM in response to deggie

Apple employees are trained to find users fault and not admit that it may be the issue with the device, any device not just iPhone, and of course, "it costs $129 is the famous sentence". I went to store and a worker said, you probably did something and it happened. Also talked with the manager. Same result. I did not put that information into my initial post because it does not matter. It is not what I am trying to find here. I am just trying to understand if there is a pattern and/or if others experience the similar issues.

"Posting photos here will not accomplish anything, we are all users like yourself." I respect your opinion but I don't agree with it. For you, it may not help but for others, it may be super helpful. You don't have to look if you don't want to. Btw, screen cracks are a weird issue, maybe it happened to others but they may be like "hmm, I probably hit somewhere" or "I probably drop something on it", so they automatically accept that they may have done it.

Thx for the suggestion on contacting Apple Customer service. I was told that, unless Apple realizes this is their fault, meaning that people complain about the issue and Apple realizes it is a known issue like it happened for the battery cases, I would get the same answer. Anyway, will call them and see what they say. Thx for taking a time and respond.

Iphone 7 screen randomly cracked itself

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.