Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook hard drive locked

Macbook hard drive was wiped installed macOS base system and when trying to reinstall macOS Sierra hard disk is now locked, how do I unlock the hard disk to reinstall macOS Sierra?

Posted on Aug 8, 2017 8:54 PM

9 replies

Aug 9, 2017 9:09 AM in response to telloalex27

It's possible when you installed macOS that you auto selected to encrypt your drive. However, I don't see how this could stop you from erasing the drive in Disk Utility while booted from Recovery Drive.

Could you post a screen shot of what you are seeing that shows your drive is locked. If not, at least give a full description of what you are seeing.

Aug 9, 2017 12:58 PM in response to dianeoforegon

I did, but I had gotten in and was able to both unlock my firevault SUCCESSFULLY, as well as change One. Opt of at least a VERY-PARTIAL AMOUNT OF JUST ABOUT ALL MY INFO W/ only half or so backed up, but enough to have an additional way to boot it.. however even after trying every normal, and a dozen or so different methods- none worked for me, and I made sure to reset the P-RAM between attempts (along with checking the firevault and the encryption settings are still the way they needed to be) I've also been VERY patient and have taken my time...etc. however, I'm at a loss at This point! Everything I've ran through the 'First Aide' they're are (now... not at first, but I fixed that) PASSING ALL OF THE TESTS PERFECTLY... and Quickly too! It's been all day & I have work I desperately need it for.... as I've gotta run several programs out of the Adobe CC to work with the whole time- I don't think I can do what I need "quick-enough" to not have it working here at anytime now-

Macbook hard drive locked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.