Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Wants Admin Password for Screen Repair???

Was just in contact with Apple Support to have my MacBook Pro screen replaced due to a known issue (anti-reflective coating problem).

During the course of setting up my shipping to Apple, I was asked multiple times for my Admin user name and password - online chat and again by phone.

The complexity of my case had me on the phone with a senior advisor who concurred that admin level access was essential to the repair and could not be done without it. Can this possibly be true??? For a screen replacement?

I was instructed that if I would not give admin access, the alternative was to backup all my files, wipe my hard drive and create a new admin acct for Apple to use for the repair.

The senior advisor then did some "further checking" and told me: "we typically wipe hard drives during repair anyway." In other words, it was fine not to give them my admin credentials as - either way - my hard drive was highly likely to be wiped as a normal part of repair. Again, can this be right????

Am I getting correct information: the same Apple that fought a court order to unlock a suspected terrorists iPhone for the FBI - as a normal course of repair - asks people for admin passwords to their computers? And Apple has no way to do repairs such as screen replacements without admin access? And hard drives are "typically wiped" during such repairs?

Given all the attention we are called to pay to online security and the risks of identity theft, I am amazed that Apple has it as part of standard practice to ask for such direct access to files. Forget my professional files that I'm obligated to keep secure, I also have everything from bank statements to personal accounting to electronic copies of my tax returns and mortgage documents.

I am hardly an expert in the field, but I am deeply uncomfortable with the idea that Apple's standard repair process depends on having access to such information. While I'm sure that they are being honest when they say: "We have no intention of searching your personal documents," they can't possibly imagine they can control every moment of every employee. And such access creates the environment ripe for the highest levels of identity theft.

Am I misunderstanding something? Are others troubled?

Posted on Aug 9, 2017 7:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2017 8:24 PM

I do have backups running constantly in the background and a wiped drive would not kill me.

The FAR bigger issue for me is that as I was responding (first chat, then phone) to the standard list of: mailing address, phone number... came the question: "Admin acct name and password?" It was clearly just on the checklist of question we ask everyone.

I know that Apple can crack a computer if they want to. And I'm willing to trust Apple to not take the time to hack my specific machine while in the repair center.

And I certainly heard their explanation that the need admin access to "test the repair." I just can't believe that a company like Apple hasn't built a system into their OS and standard repair workflow that can effectively test a repair without requiring full admin access. (A bit stunned Apple would even ask for passwords via chat!)

Apple has to know that the average person keeps tons of deeply personal information on their computers and doesn't password protect the specific folders. It is irresponsible of them to need such complete access for repair testing. After all, they can update my software securely with validated keys that prove to my devices the apps are coming from Apple. They can't have a repair testing system that's similar - recognized by my device as authentically Apple and thus able to run without having the keys to the contents of my entire hard drive???

We are all working - and told to work! - so diligently to keep our security software up to date, to install latest patches, to have a firewall, to check suspicious e-mail... And Apple then asks for the highest level passwords of all it's customers who have to send in devices for repair? Can't do the repair without it???

I have to say, this has cause me to really re-think my trust in Apple. It's sad for me as this seems so obviously irresponsible and unethical.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2017 8:24 PM in response to tjk

I do have backups running constantly in the background and a wiped drive would not kill me.

The FAR bigger issue for me is that as I was responding (first chat, then phone) to the standard list of: mailing address, phone number... came the question: "Admin acct name and password?" It was clearly just on the checklist of question we ask everyone.

I know that Apple can crack a computer if they want to. And I'm willing to trust Apple to not take the time to hack my specific machine while in the repair center.

And I certainly heard their explanation that the need admin access to "test the repair." I just can't believe that a company like Apple hasn't built a system into their OS and standard repair workflow that can effectively test a repair without requiring full admin access. (A bit stunned Apple would even ask for passwords via chat!)

Apple has to know that the average person keeps tons of deeply personal information on their computers and doesn't password protect the specific folders. It is irresponsible of them to need such complete access for repair testing. After all, they can update my software securely with validated keys that prove to my devices the apps are coming from Apple. They can't have a repair testing system that's similar - recognized by my device as authentically Apple and thus able to run without having the keys to the contents of my entire hard drive???

We are all working - and told to work! - so diligently to keep our security software up to date, to install latest patches, to have a firewall, to check suspicious e-mail... And Apple then asks for the highest level passwords of all it's customers who have to send in devices for repair? Can't do the repair without it???

I have to say, this has cause me to really re-think my trust in Apple. It's sad for me as this seems so obviously irresponsible and unethical.

Aug 9, 2017 9:24 PM in response to tjk

All that you say is true and the correct thing to do. And it's what I'll do as well (thanks for the clone tip).

I'm just aware that you are intellectually gifted enough to understand what needs to be done, how to accomplish it and have the resources to do it without a huge disruption to your life. But there are so many who are not where you are. They will give Apple complete access and internalize another lesson that when an authority asks you for your password and tells you it's important, you do it. (And there is high likelihood that all will be fine; I'm sure most Apple techs are fine people.

But Apple is so controlling of their "ecosystem" that they can create whatever system they want for testing repair. They have consciously created a system in which repair testing requires such access is beyond me. It's like the plumber telling you they need the keys to your house, and the combination to your wall safe and your safe deposit keys to check the repair to the water heater.

In Apple's case, they may have created a system in which that is true! And that is highly irresponsible. And I think customers should not stand for it.

There is simply too much on the average person's laptop to leave it unsupervised with a 3rd party. Especially when most people's file structure is something like: documents>financial>taxes>tax returns It would take 10 seconds to navigate to insanely private info and take a photo with...an iPhone. And that alone would open one's entire life to misery.

And I'm carrying on about it in the way that only a disappointed fan can. I've rooted for Apple since the 80s and wanted to see them as the customer-centered tech company that doesn't go in for the shenanigans that plague MicroSoft. So when Apple asked for my passwords so nonchalantly and then insisted it necessary for hardware repair...I was stunned in a way I wasn't expecting.

Apple, I think this needs addressing ASAP and I'm disappointed that such basic security has not be regarded as essential long before this. I'm honestly sad about it.

Aug 9, 2017 8:12 PM in response to duFer

Hi,

Getting a customer's password has/had been standard practice at Apple for a long time (we had a lengthy discussion on whether this is still the policy in another thread, someone put in a request to Apple for information, and we are waiting for that answer). The reason is they need to start the Mac up to test it to see if it works as it's supposed to.

I've never heard it's standard practice to erase a HD, only when an issue may be software related and a fresh OS is needed to test it out.

Everyone should backup every day. Time Machine makes it easy to do hourly. It's even more important when sending in the Mac for service, as they could indeed erase or replace the HD, or something could happen during transit or repair. I recommend two backups, one Time Machine and one bootable clone (I prefer Carbon Copy Cloner).

If you have sensitive information that you want to protect at all costs, then you should erase your HD before sending it in, as Apple has means to bypass a password, unless a HD is encrypted (I don't believe FileVault 2 has been breached yet). Even a firmware password can be bypassed by Apple (if you forget yours, you can bring the Mac to Apple along with proof of purchase and they can reset it or turn it off).

Aug 9, 2017 9:25 PM in response to duFer

I definitely understand where you're coming from and can't say I blame you. Regardless of what's right/wrong/ethical/unethical, I'm quite sure that if I had to have my Mac repaired, I would clone the drive and erase it, then simply clone back to it when I got the Mac back. A total of maybe two hours or so for my peace of mind.

Apple Wants Admin Password for Screen Repair???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.