Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How good is a refurbished iPhone?

Hi,

I found a refurbished 64 Gb iPhone SE for only $500 instead of the $579 32Gb. I would like to know if refurbished iPhone is good in term of quality. I don't want something with a scratch or a broken screen. I want it to feel new, but at a lowest price.

Thank you

iPod touch, iOS 9.3.2, Games, Update

Posted on Aug 11, 2017 8:26 AM

3 replies

Aug 11, 2017 9:32 AM in response to nic727

If you are purchasing directly from Apple:

Guaranteed Apple quality.

Before we put an Apple Certified Refurbished product up for sale, it undergoes a rigorous refurbishment process to make sure it’s up to Apple’s high standards. We back it with our standard one-year limited warranty. And you have the option of purchasing AppleCare to extend your coverage further.

If you are purchasing elsewhere, make sure it is from a reputable source, one where you can return the device if you're not happy with it. Too many times, people buy second hand devices that are locked to a previous owner's Apple ID, and then discover they have a useless but attractive paperweight. These forums have literally hundreds of posts from users that have experienced this.

Aug 11, 2017 9:58 AM in response to nic727

The only place to buy Apple OEM refurbished devices is from Apple itself. Apple refurbished devices are like factory new devices, with OEM new battery and display. They also come with a full one year Apple warranty and are eligible for Apple’s extended warranty.

Many third party sellers offer their own refurbished devices, where the refurbishment is done by them or their contractors (e.g. Amazon refurb iphones are refurbished by Amazon or their contractor, not by Apple or Apple’s OEM contractor).

So check who actually refurbished the device, what does their refurbishment actually mean (note that new OEM parts are not available to anyone but Apple and their Authorized service providers), and what sort of warranty they offer (since it will have no warranty at all with Apple). Again, for example, an Amazon refurbished iPhone will have a warranty from Amazon, not from Apple.

Quite honestly, what some sellers put out as refurbished is nonsense. They’re just selling cosmetically cleaned used devices and nothing more.

How good is a refurbished iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.