Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Radeon RX Vega 64 or 56 in Mac Pro 2012?

I think the question says it all. Theoretically, the Vega 64 and 56 should work under macOS High Sierra, since they will be in the new iMac Pro, and according to this article, they work in an eGPU enclosure on a 2016 MBP.

Anything that would stop this from working?

Thanks!

-Geotrax

Mac Pro, Late 2012 running OS X 10.12 Sierra

Posted on Aug 11, 2017 2:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2017 2:56 PM

I'm running a Vega 64 in a mac pro 5,1 with an additional 750watt psu plugged in to power it. Runs great. Way better than my GTX 980 ever did and the PSU helps with stability. Just google around and you'll find the articles to make this work. Don't bother trying to make the internal PSU of the mac pro do the job, because it just won't unless you can connect all the HDD slots, both PCIE power ports, and all three of the other PCI slots power in parallel. Then you might have enough for normal operation. Otherwise, it will just GPUrestart on your all day long.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2017 2:56 PM in response to Geotrax

I'm running a Vega 64 in a mac pro 5,1 with an additional 750watt psu plugged in to power it. Runs great. Way better than my GTX 980 ever did and the PSU helps with stability. Just google around and you'll find the articles to make this work. Don't bother trying to make the internal PSU of the mac pro do the job, because it just won't unless you can connect all the HDD slots, both PCIE power ports, and all three of the other PCI slots power in parallel. Then you might have enough for normal operation. Otherwise, it will just GPUrestart on your all day long.

Oct 19, 2017 2:20 AM in response to Geotrax

Based on the BareFeats test results kindly linked to by Lance it would appear that High Sierra already has drivers for the Vega 64 at least built-in.

Therefore the only issue is the fact that no modern AMD video cards including the Vega 64 come with Mac EFI firmware. As a result you cannot utilise any of the pre-boot options such as holding down the Option key to select a different boot drive, holding down Command-R to access the recovery partition, or using FileVault encryption. If this is not a problem then what will happen is that the screen will stay completely black until High Sierra has loaded enough of itself to load the driver for the video card, you will then see the normal login screen.

Note: AMD do not provide their own drivers unlike Nvidia, so you are completely reliant on Apple drivers. Sadly Apple drivers have historically delivered poor performance and often failed to support certain features of the video card - even such a basic thing as audio via the HDMI port. 😟 As indicated by the BareFeats test at least in one category i.e. OpenGL the Apple driver seems to be causing very poor performance but this hopefully will improve over time.

Radeon RX Vega 64 or 56 in Mac Pro 2012?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.