Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro 12.9" 12nd Gen problem with Skype

While using Skype and FaceTime video chats with my new iPad Pro everyone is complaining about hearing themselves with an echo... also, their speech is being distorted and cut-off.. using earphones or muting iPad microphone makes it go away... which doesn't help much - looks like a design flaw - microphones are getting feedback from iPad's 4 speakers,distorting the sound. I just had my unit replaced by Apple - the problem is till there!

iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, Mac OS X (10.0.x), Skype

Posted on Aug 12, 2017 4:17 PM

8 replies

Aug 31, 2017 3:56 AM in response to Nafigator

Hi,

The same happens with Gotomeeting on 2nd gen iPad Pro 12.9.

In fact, all audio conference apps have the issue, except those from Apple (Facetime/phone calls through iPhone).

I contacted Gotomeeting support, they don't see the solution. Either there is a problem with these newer iPads (I ran the test on two units bought separately with the same result, and I also tried installing iOS 11 PB7 but the issue isn't solved either), or htere are specific methods to use for iPad pros while developing the apps that the developers don't know about or haven't implemented yet.

These iPad pros have some specific components with the four speakers, changing with orientation of the iPad etc.

Maybe Apple should push some information to these reknown software developers (Citrix, MS, WEBEX, etc?) because for now every body sees it has a default in their iPads.

Nov 28, 2017 8:27 AM in response to fyfyyv

Hi

Not sure if this is going to help increasing visibility over this thread, but I’m also facing the same issues and deeply frustrated from not being able to use a $1,000 device on a regular basis for one of the functions it is is intented to.

A simple toggle function (to disable the multi-speaker set-up) would sufice while all the developers don’t catch up with the required software code to fix this.

What I cant understand / accept is why this is not being addressed at all..

Jan 4, 2018 3:38 PM in response to Gremlin000

Apple has a built-in echo canceller that all of these conferencing applications turn on. Obviously if you're using headphones then the echo canceller is superfluous. Third party applications seem to have problems configuring the echo canceller on the 12.9" iPad Pro or the audio driver in this model have some issue. My company (that makes a conferencing application) has experimented with a number (all?) of audio options that are unique to the 12.9" iPad Pro in hopes of discovering a configuration that will fix the echo issue, but have not found a solution. We have found that if we disable the echo canceller (voice processing) and use our own software echo canceller the problem disappears. So the problem is not related to the mic/speaker location/orientation. We have have summited a bug report to Apple a month or so ago, but we have not heard anything back.

iPad Pro 12.9" 12nd Gen problem with Skype

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.