Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I unhide the Library folder in a TM backup file?

Hello,

I've recently moved Macs and all I have from the original is an external drive that houses all my Time Machine backups.

I have installed MS Outlook 365 on my new MacBook but I would like to use all my emails and email address information from my original Mac and Outlook 365. I have tried to locate the database in the Library folder in my most recent Time Machine backup file, but the "Library" folder is not present.

I've searched all over online for a solution to unhiding it but all I've found are solutions for your revealing the main Library folder, not one from within a TM backup file.

Please help! How can I access and import all my Outlook data from my original Mac?

Thank you in advance,

Don

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS Sierra (10.12.6), 2.9GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB HDD

Posted on Aug 13, 2017 2:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2017 8:40 AM

If you want to unhide and view the user library in the Finder view of a particular TM backup:

Navigate to the backup on the TM disk you wish to view. Select your Home Folder in the user folder of that backup. Right click on your account name (control Click) and then hold down the Option Key. Select copy "***" as Pathname.

Then, go the the Finder, select Go from the menu, then Go To Folder and paste the copied pathname to the window. Add /Library to the end of the pathname in the window, then hit Go. A Finder window show open that backup user Library folder.

I don't think you can unhide the library folder of all backups where it was hidden on the backup originally on a permanent basis for direct viewing.

You can also follow dialabrain's post and view the files in the TM viewing. You can restore the files to a different location such as the desktop so you can decide on what you want to replace directly.

For the future, ensure that your user library on your boot drive is no longer hidden and your future TM backups will also show the user library for viewing directly.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2017 8:40 AM in response to Don_Girdwood

If you want to unhide and view the user library in the Finder view of a particular TM backup:

Navigate to the backup on the TM disk you wish to view. Select your Home Folder in the user folder of that backup. Right click on your account name (control Click) and then hold down the Option Key. Select copy "***" as Pathname.

Then, go the the Finder, select Go from the menu, then Go To Folder and paste the copied pathname to the window. Add /Library to the end of the pathname in the window, then hit Go. A Finder window show open that backup user Library folder.

I don't think you can unhide the library folder of all backups where it was hidden on the backup originally on a permanent basis for direct viewing.

You can also follow dialabrain's post and view the files in the TM viewing. You can restore the files to a different location such as the desktop so you can decide on what you want to replace directly.

For the future, ensure that your user library on your boot drive is no longer hidden and your future TM backups will also show the user library for viewing directly.

Aug 13, 2017 8:00 AM in response to Don_Girdwood

Expanding on dialabrain's post, go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Now it should be visible when you enter Time Machine.

Aug 13, 2017 12:19 PM in response to Eric Root

I did too, so I thought I would test this out.

I hid my user library and did a backup to test. It was hidden in the TM backup as well, but the previous backups were still showing the user library. I unhid the Library in my user account and did another backup and the new backup showed the Library, but it did not show in the previous where it was hidden.

So changes made do no affect previous backups in how they were saved and viewed.

I always wondered this point myself, but now I know for sure.

How can I unhide the Library folder in a TM backup file?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.