Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't login to iMac and Apple ID recovery not working

Hey,

So I came home after a month on vacation, plugged my iMac in (macOS 10.12.6) and it won't accept my password. I have tried every password I have ever used and nothing works. After three attempts the "recover using Apple ID credentials" pops up but that's not working either (I logged in and out of my apple ID a few times on another device so I know there is nothing wrong with that password)... I have used that recovery method once before with no issues (not too terribly long ago).

I have tried going into recovery mode and re installing OSX, no luck, same problem... My main question is, is it necessary to be on line when trying to recover from my Apple ID? I have searched and searched but can't find it specified anywhere. Odly enough, when I am in recovery mode, I can can turn on my wifi and go to on line help (but there are no options there for recovery from Apple ID while in recovery mode), but when I'm on the login screen my wifi is inactive so have no way of getting online if it is necessary. If that is not the problem then why won't it accept my Apple ID which works fine everywhere else?

I do not have a Time Machine back up but have most of my stuff backed up to either the cloud or manually on other disk... but regardless I'd prefer not to have to do a clean install.

Any help is appreciated.

iMac, null

Posted on Aug 13, 2017 4:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2017 8:44 AM

Hi Rob801,

Thank you for contacting Apple Support Communities. Based on what you stated, it seems like you are trying to recover using your Apple ID without being online. Since we know you are able to use your Apple ID on other devices that are connected to the internet it seems like the issue is isolated to your iMac. If the computer is not connected to the internet there is no way for the Apple ID to authenticate with the Apple servers and would not work. Since this is an iMac, there is an ethernet port on the back of the computer that you can use to directly connect.

If your Internet Service Provider (ISP) provides an Ethernet connection (wired) to the Internet, you can connect this to the Ethernet port on your Mac. Look for a port on your Mac labeled with this symbol: User uploaded file.

Mac Basics: Connecting your Mac to the Internet
Cheers.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2017 8:44 AM in response to Rob801

Hi Rob801,

Thank you for contacting Apple Support Communities. Based on what you stated, it seems like you are trying to recover using your Apple ID without being online. Since we know you are able to use your Apple ID on other devices that are connected to the internet it seems like the issue is isolated to your iMac. If the computer is not connected to the internet there is no way for the Apple ID to authenticate with the Apple servers and would not work. Since this is an iMac, there is an ethernet port on the back of the computer that you can use to directly connect.

If your Internet Service Provider (ISP) provides an Ethernet connection (wired) to the Internet, you can connect this to the Ethernet port on your Mac. Look for a port on your Mac labeled with this symbol: User uploaded file.

Mac Basics: Connecting your Mac to the Internet
Cheers.

Aug 14, 2017 8:44 PM in response to brenden dv

Thanks, That's my problem then. I just don't understand why I can activate my wireless connection in recovery mode (command/R on start up) but not where I actually need it most (at the moment) on the log in screen for my Apple ID.

I find myself in the probably somewhat unique situation that I only have a "cellular" wifi router at the moment and it has no Ethernet port (my house is sold and am moving in a couple months, and it was cheaper to get ISP through my Mobil company temporarily than reconnect to my wire based ISP which was in my ex wife's name). Guess I'll take it to a friends house so I can connect to an ethernet connection.

Can't login to iMac and Apple ID recovery not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.