Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp Windows 10 Win10 SD card

MBP Retina 13", Early 2015

Boot Camp Windows 10 does not detect the inserted micro SD card (with an SD adaptor).

Manage/Storage Management does not even see any extra disks other than the built-in SSD.

Tried looking up some solution here, but none worked:

- "Programs and Features", "Apple SD driver" - Change, "Yes"

- installed the RealTek driver from the RealTek home page

Nothing has changed even after reboots.

How can I access the SD card in Win10 Boot Camp?

Thank you.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Windows 10, Late 2015, 16G, 256 SSD

Posted on Aug 13, 2017 3:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2017 7:52 AM

If you are using the SLEEP mode when closing your notebook there is a known problem which causes the SD card slot to disappear upon waking up.

Try doing a full SHUTDOWN. Wait 10 seconds and start the computer from scratch. Immediately check the SD card to see if it appears. I'll bet that it will. Then put the computer to SLEEP and WAKE it back up and the SD Card slot will no longer show up. This problem has been around for at least 3+ years and Apple isn't interested in fixing it - possibly because it only affects Bootcamp (Microsoft Windows) users. It is a problem for ALL versions of Windows - not just Windows 10.

You can try using the Hybernate mode instead of Sleep mode. Many folks say that this works to restore the SD card slot.

Good luck. And please post your findings...

- John

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2017 7:52 AM in response to Zarani

If you are using the SLEEP mode when closing your notebook there is a known problem which causes the SD card slot to disappear upon waking up.

Try doing a full SHUTDOWN. Wait 10 seconds and start the computer from scratch. Immediately check the SD card to see if it appears. I'll bet that it will. Then put the computer to SLEEP and WAKE it back up and the SD Card slot will no longer show up. This problem has been around for at least 3+ years and Apple isn't interested in fixing it - possibly because it only affects Bootcamp (Microsoft Windows) users. It is a problem for ALL versions of Windows - not just Windows 10.

You can try using the Hybernate mode instead of Sleep mode. Many folks say that this works to restore the SD card slot.

Good luck. And please post your findings...

- John

Aug 22, 2017 7:56 AM in response to Hawk521

Hey mate, yes, indeed - that seems to be happening.

It is pretty lame, if you ask me - especially if this has really been hanging around for years...

Shutdown, reboot: SD card fully visible and accessible.

Sleep and wake-up: SD card disappears.

Still have yet to test the Hibernate workaround path, but at least we now know at least one workaround for the issue (even if it is quite dirty).

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,

Johnny

Aug 30, 2017 4:49 AM in response to Loner T

On my MacBook Air Bootcamp the SD card slot disappears on a Sleep/Wakeup cycle.

Curiously though, a USB Flash drive does not show this problem. I can put a 32gb USB stick in one of the USB ports, go through a sleep/wakeup cycle and it is still present. Obviously the SD card slot is treated quite differently from the USB ports...

Apparently nobody at Microsoft uses a Mac with Bootcamp for testing or even personal use. Else they would have fixed this problem years ago. Although I fault Apple for not pursuing a solution with Microsoft more vigorously, it would appear to me that it is a Microsoft driver issue. The Bootcamp SD card slot shows to use a Microsoft driver dated 6/21/2006. I just got through updating the Bootcamp drivers - so this driver version appears to be quite static in recent Bootcamp releases. Either Apple needs to develop their own Bootcamp driver for this SD card slot OR Microsoft needs to lend a hand to fix this nagging issue. As a systems analyst/programmer for some 40 years I cannot fathom this being a tough nut to crack if one had access to the right tools.

But don't hold your breath. There are hundreds (if not thousands) of posts all around the internet discussing this issue for over 3 years - and so far I have yet to find anyone with a true solution. The problem has been documented to Microsoft AND to Apple - yet they appear to close (or ignore) the issue without ever bothering to fix it.

MAYBE, just maybe, someone from Microsoft or Apple will see this discussion and actually take ownership of the task of getting a remedy to us. Who knows? Maybe pigs will soon fly too!

Oct 14, 2017 9:55 PM in response to Hawk521

Hi, there!

I think they fixed the problem just getting rid of the Sd Card slot in the new MacBook. I thought I could have my storage in the SD card, but it is harder to do that. I might use plan B and use an adapter to a USB port or USB C hob for better speeds.

However, I hibernated for 10 seconds, and the sd card appeared magically after hundred of different methods I tried. I think I will stick around with that option.

Good luck!

Oct 15, 2017 9:23 AM in response to culero.com

Using hybernate mode has not been a problem - probably because it involves a power off/on cycle.

Try using SLEEP MODE and post your results. I'd really like to know if Apple has indeed fixed this problem.

Again the problem ONLY exists when using sleep mode.

FWIW, I've updated my 2013 Macbook Air to High Sierra and my Bootcamp windows to the latest release of WIndows 10 and the problem persists.

MAYBE - if it is a hardware issue perhaps Apple has resolved it...?

Oct 15, 2017 9:15 PM in response to Hawk521

After the sleep mode the SD card doesn't show up. Therefore, I changed the behaviour of the lid when closed to hibernate instead of sleep. Now, if the card doesn't shows up, I hibernate and when it turns back on the SD card is there working perfectly. That's the way I made mine working. It requires a little bit more of effort than necessary but at least it works.

Boot Camp Windows 10 Win10 SD card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.