Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine stuck on "Preparing Backup".

Hi,

I open my MacBook Pro, and an error message pops up saying that my backup disk identity has been played with, or someone is trying to use it or its content has been erased.

Hmmm...

I check my Time Capsule, and everything is still there, no problem.

I click on "Back Up Now", and it says it never did a backup before and that this will be the first time.

Since this isn't the case, I reboot my computer.

After rebooting, Time Machine says my last backup was yesterday.

Cool.

I press "Back Up Now", and Time Machine has been stuck on "Preparing Backup" for a loooong time.

I read that I have to remove my "inprogress" file, but I can't find it.

Can someone help me please?

Thanks!

Chris.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.6), time machine

Posted on Aug 13, 2017 8:14 AM

16 replies

Aug 13, 2017 2:08 PM in response to Krissserz

I don't have TC, so I don't know if it's different, but doesn't it show up on your desktop? If not, make it do so in Finder preferences > General.

Then double click on the TM icon on your desktop > dc on backups.backupdb > dc on next folder > scroll to ....inprogress and do with it as you wish.

Aug 13, 2017 6:14 PM in response to Krissserz

I had the same issue when backing up for the first time a 2017 MBP running OS Sierra, while the TC still had previous back-ups on it from a 2008 Macbook running El Capitan (I migrated my data manually to the 2017 MBP). Somehow these two operating systems don't get along when mixed on a TC. I could only resolve it be erasing the TC via DiskUtility, i.e. start completely fresh on the TC with the OS Sierra back-up from the new MBP 2017.

Works fine ever since with zero issues.

Time Machine stuck on "Preparing Backup".

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.