You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is Apple Mail so bad?

Mac user since 1985. Even before with Apple IIC. Why is Apple Mail, heck really all email apps, so bad? It isn't like these companies haven't had enough time to make stable, solid apps with the features that are useful. I've got messages appearing for 3 seconds and then disappearing forever... they're NOWHERE! Any way we can hold somebody's feet to the fire and DEMAND decent email apps!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Aug 13, 2017 10:39 AM

11 replies

Aug 13, 2017 11:30 AM in response to Chaynes4

I had that exact scenario a few days ago with a client email. I saw the notification subject clearly and then the mail disappeared. I dismissed it as a glitch. 5 days went by and my client was upset because I hadn't responded to what was a pretty important request. Subsequent investigations revealed that it WAS a rule I had set up. The email went into a smart folder I set up for invoices. Dumb me, right? Here's the rub. I have two workstations that share the same email accounts set up as Imap, so they mirror one another. Workstation A, where I originally saw the notification, to this day, shows NO evidence of the email anywhere. I discovered the email in question while looking for something else on workstation B. It was there that I realized that the email had gone into the smart directory and not my inbox. But workstation A, it is nowhere.

My point is, yeah, some bugs.

Aug 13, 2017 12:19 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

No, actually a statement like that reflects the state of email as it appears to me after 30 years of use. I have the same kind of problems I had 20 years ago. One release doesn't have "Mark As Unread" as an option in making rules. The next edition has it. The basic interface is just that, basic, and calling it simple for ease of use is just that, simple. I'm just frustrated because it seems like email is pretty important to a lot of us and it doesn't seem to be progressing as a useful app.

That's a general statement about the amount of ingenuity that had driven the development of Apple Mail, and actually all the other mail apps I've tried over the years, at least as it appears to me. The specifics are that I assume between my iMac and Macbook Pro there must be a rule conflict... not obvious, I've been over all of the rules, etc. I've tried most every suggestion I have received and I appreciate them all. But these emails disappear from the Macbook Pro, my iPhone and iMac. They're GONE! I think that just shouldn't be allowed to happen regardless of what other stupid stuff I do. I still think it's my fault in actual use but I also think something needs to cut me off at the pass when I do that. I appreciate the reply.

Aug 13, 2017 12:25 PM in response to Chaynes4

If an email "disappears" from all your devices it is because you have email setup as IMAP. So email is synchronized across all devices that access an email account. Could it be that you have a rule configured on your email provider's server that is being triggered? Or, maybe one of your devices is accessing your email account as a POP account and is downloading your email and removing it from the server before the other devices can access it from the server.

I've been using email a long time as well and have not observed the issues you appear to have. It has got to be a setting either on the email server or on your devices.

Why is Apple Mail so bad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.