Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does iPhone really gets virus?

Hello, I have iPhone 7 running iOS 10.3.3, I always use chrome browser recently I got a notification that my iPhone got effected by virus and then it is redirected to AppStore to install onova vpn app to secure my phone, I installed it and also deleted it ,does really iPhone with latest software gets effected by viruses or how to remove virus from it will it be removed by vpn service or an antivirus ? This is disturbing me because it is my primary phone will it be resolved by installing iOS 11 public beta please help me!!

Posted on Aug 13, 2017 10:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2017 10:59 PM in response to Anirudh790

Not unless you jailbreak it.

These are scams and should be ignored

1. Identify and report phishing emails and other suspicious messages
  2. Annual Reminder- Watch out for email Phishing Scams
  3. Identifying fraudulent "phishing" email
  4. Beware of Browser Pop-Up Tech Support, Phishing Scams
  5. Phishing & Other Suspicious Emails
  6. Avoid phishing emails, fake 'virus' alerts, phony support calls, & other scams

Report phishing email to abuse@apple.com.

iDevice Safari Phishing Adware Popups

1. Your device does not have a virus. You can fix this as follows:
  2. Kill Safari by double-tapping on the Home button. Locate Safari in the task bar, then slide the Safari mini-page upwards so it vanishes.
  3. Tap Settings > Safari > Clear History and Website Data. Next, locate Security section and slide the “Block Pop-Ups” switch to the On position.
  4. Press the Home button to return to your Home screen.
  5. If this doesn’t help, then reset your device. It won't delete your data. Press and hold down the On/Off button and the Home button until the display turns off and returns with the Apple logo showing.

Alternatively, follow these instructions to reset your device: Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support.

Aug 13, 2017 11:06 PM in response to Anirudh790

Anirudh790 wrote:

Hello, I have iPhone 7 running iOS 10.3.3, I always use chrome browser recently I got a notification that my iPhone got effected by virus and then it is redirected to AppStore to install onova vpn app to secure my phone, I installed it and also deleted it

It sounds like a fake notification directed you to install a VPN app. The bad thing about that is that an evil VPN app can both redirect web traffic and also insert malware into web pages you open. So the notification was a ruse to get you to install software that compromised the security of your iPhone. There probably was never a virus on your iPhone. The notification did not direct you to a cure, but probably directed you to a way to install something that would allow more bad software to be installed.

Removing the VPN software may stop it, but you should also check the VPN section of your iPhone settings and make sure any new VPN profiles that were added have now been removed. If not, delete them yourself.

Anirudh790 wrote:

does really iPhone with latest software gets effected by viruses or how to remove virus from it will it be removed by vpn service or an antivirus ?

While it is possible for an iPhone to be affected by some kind of malware, the way Apple has designed the system it is very unlikely. And a virus is one of the most unlikeliest kind of malware to get on an iPhone. This is why that notification was probably fake. The chance of getting malware is much higher on an Android phone.

VPN software has many legitimate uses, but VPN software on its own can never remove a virus. They told you to install VPN software because their illegitimate VPN software is designed to evade Apple security protections.

Anirudh790 wrote:

will it be resolved by installing iOS 11 public beta please help me!!

There is no reason installing iOS 11 Public Beta will fix this. Because iOS 11 is not finished, may contain bugs, and is only provided for testing purposes, you should not install it on your primary phone. That is probably stated in the public beta terms.

The best fix is probably to reset your iPhone using the current operating system:

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

You can then restore your last backup from before you installed the false VPN software.

Aug 13, 2017 11:03 PM in response to Kappy

Thank you, but the webpage in chrome redirected to App Store and showing an app called anovo vpn app I downloaded it and vpn was activated later I deleted the app does it effect my phone and another doubt was does iOS 11 public beta makes get rid of the virus because it was primary and only phone so please suggest me thanks in advance

Does iPhone really gets virus?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.