Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apps that work with 4.2.1?

We have an old ipod touch which is version 4.2.1 and cannot update it any further. How can we find apps that will work on it? Does anyone know any? I have tried findoldapps.com but it doesn't seem to cover the UK so I can't find any of the apps it suggests on the app store.

Posted on Aug 13, 2017 11:56 PM

4 replies

Aug 15, 2017 10:21 AM in response to Community User

I know of some apps that work with the old iPod Touchs. I know many, but I know some. That's one of the reasons I got rid of my 4th generation iPod Touch. I couldn't update it any further. The apps I wanted on it required i0S 7. Mine would go as far as 6.1.6. I got the 6th generation, and I'm never going back. I want apps that work with my device.

Aug 15, 2017 4:11 PM in response to 567hanna

You know that any older apps on older iDevices still function as they always have.

The older app versions still work.

I have the first 2010 iPad loaded up with older versions of the same apps I use on my newer iPads and those files can still be opened between these versions.

Older and newer DropBox, on all my iPads still work to transfer files/data back and forth to my other iDevices and my Mac.

All of my older paid streaming services on my old iPad 1 still work.

Older versions of my favorite drawing apps still work, but I can only use a regular capacitive stylus, the newer, battery powered, "active" fine point stylii OR my fingers to draw as the Bluetooth spec, similar issue with iPad 2, is too old to use any current, modern Bluetooth "smart"stylii.

Older apps on older iDevices DON'T simply stop working, you just don't continue to receive anymore app updates with more new or better features.

apps that work with 4.2.1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.