Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I delete the files in MobileSync/Backup?

I am running low on storage and see that a big chunk of data is in Library/applicationSupport/MobileSynch/Backup. About 34GB. I do backup a iPhone and iPad to this computer. I have previously deleted any old backups using iTunes Preferences/ Devices. In iTunes I can see what each backup is, ie iPhone or iPad and date. However with Finder and viewing the MobileSynch/Backup folders-files I can only see gibberish names. Like 8b1fg2ed…….. .What are this and can I delete.? Or can I move these to an external drive?

iPad Pro, iOS 10

Posted on Aug 14, 2017 1:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2017 2:31 PM

As you already know this folder contains your iOS device's backups via iTunes.

You basically have two options to delete these backups:

1. Through iTunes like you already did, and/or
  2. Manually. For a Mac, they are located in: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup. When you navigate to this folder, you'll find a bunch of gibberish names (as you noted). There will be no easy way to identify which belong to which iOS device. If you don't want to get rid of all of the backups, one option is to sort them, and just delete the oldest ones ... or whatever ones you decide on.

Just note that you shouldn't delete all of them as if your iOS device has an issue you will not have any backups for it. Of course, the other option is to back up your iOS devices to iCloud instead.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2017 2:31 PM in response to Hubablank

As you already know this folder contains your iOS device's backups via iTunes.

You basically have two options to delete these backups:

1. Through iTunes like you already did, and/or
  2. Manually. For a Mac, they are located in: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup. When you navigate to this folder, you'll find a bunch of gibberish names (as you noted). There will be no easy way to identify which belong to which iOS device. If you don't want to get rid of all of the backups, one option is to sort them, and just delete the oldest ones ... or whatever ones you decide on.

Just note that you shouldn't delete all of them as if your iOS device has an issue you will not have any backups for it. Of course, the other option is to back up your iOS devices to iCloud instead.

Aug 14, 2017 2:29 PM in response to John Galt

For the time being I am out of space on my MacBook Pro with 256 SSD and planning- looking for a new strategy-for my Music and Photos, etc with a new iMac. I'll be keeping Macbook but was hoping I could take a little time to determine how I want to move forward and which size iMac I will get. So freeing up 30GB or so would help in the short term while I figure things out. Like I mentioned can I move the Folders under Backup to an external drive?

Aug 14, 2017 3:50 PM in response to Hubablank

If I delete the backups using iTunes Preferences will all the files/folders in MobileSynch/ Backup be gone?

If you delete all those backups, yes. Don't delete the enclosing folder (which occupies no space anyway).

What I think I will do is Backup to iCloud and then delete the backups using iTunes after I do. Does this make sense?

Sure, you can do that. However, restoring from iCloud Backup is a lot less attractive in my opinion. The vagaries of wireless communication is one reason, considering that if you should need to restore an entire iOS device's many GB of data it will take a very long time. Also, apps themselves are not backed up, as is any iTunes Music you may have purchased, among other things that are available to download and restore separately by their nature. Those items do not count against your iCloud storage limits.

Read about the difference between making backups with iCloud and iTunes.

The best idea is to use both.

If you are willing to forego any remaining AppleCare warranty or Apple authorized service you may find aftermarket SSD upgrade options for your MBA's internal storage.

Aug 14, 2017 2:31 PM in response to Hubablank

Those are your iOS device backup files. Their names are cryptic and meaningless.

If you do not want to back up your iOS devices on your Mac, then delete them using the iTunes app on your Mac: iTunes menu > Preferences... > Devices > choose the backup(s) > Delete Backup > Delete.

Or can I move these to an external drive?

I suppose so. Are you so short on available space that 34 GB makes a difference?

Aug 14, 2017 2:39 PM in response to Hubablank

Hubablank wrote:

Like I mentioned can I move the Folders under Backup to an external drive?

Sure. You can drag them to any other suitable storage device.

If you should ever need to restore an iOS device from that backup, drag it back to its original location. I have never tried that, but it seems to me it should work. There might be an easier way of pointing iTunes to a device backup file location, but I don't know what that might be.

Can I delete the files in MobileSync/Backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.