Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Shutdown after Login

Yesterday after logging in, the macbook will always run but leads to a shutdown. Tried a few online recommended remedies but still fails. Shall be a 2011 laptop and running on Sierra.

1. Start in safe mode, press Shift key but nothing happens

2. Disk Utility, tried First Aid, shown no errors.

3. Restore OS, prompt purchase error and show forever loading of OS installation

4. Command-R Recovery Mode using Internet, prompt version available is older than the installed version.

Any kind advise how to progress from here?

Posted on Aug 14, 2017 9:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2017 6:25 PM

Resetting SMC could solve the problem.

Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

If it doesn't work, install mac OS, older version with Recovery mode, then upgrade the OS could works.

3 replies

Aug 15, 2017 6:25 PM in response to brandonlcc

I recently had a similar problem with my own computer. Are you hearing little clicking noises when you are trying to turn on your computer? If so this might be because of an old or overused hard drive (it might be failing). One thing you can try is to hold down command-shift-option and turn your computer on at the same time, keep holding these buttons down until you see your login screen, then you can try to login as normal. What this does is it restarts the hard drive and the computer itself. Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Jack

Aug 15, 2017 6:28 PM in response to kaz-k

Thanks Guys, but yesterday without waiting for your kind advise, i may have made a silly mistake by restoring mac using my time machine which last backup was 1 year back. Not sure what are the documents I had lost thru out this restore. Any chances to restore the former data? But one good thing is that the system is back.

MacBook Shutdown after Login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.