Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

QuickTime Error # -2096

After 2 weeks of trying to resolve this problem I now seek help.
I have upgraded to QT 7.1.3 and the latest iTunes. All loads up with no problem - I can view videos in iTunes but not direct from QT7.
When I try to open QT the following message comes:
'QuickTime failed to initialise - Error # -2096.
Please make sure QuickTime is properly installed on this computer'

I have fully uninstalled and re-installed both QT and iTunes - together and separately - no change. I have tried in Mozilla and IE7 - no change. I've gone through the advice in the Support section of the Apple Site - no change.
My computer has well above the minimum requirements and I've downloaded all the latest drivers.
I must have put over 50 dedicated hours into this with no success!
It may or may not be connected, but I am unable to upload all my existing .MOV video files from iTunes onto my new 80Gig Video iPod. These I've checked with 'GSpot' software to ensure they are genuine .MOV files - which they are.
Video Podcasts I download from ITunes do upload!
Frustrated doesn't even get near!
I can find little info on Error # -2096.

Can someone please, please help ??

Targa Visionary PC+ Windows XP AMDA Athelon XP 3000 - 2.12Ghz nVIDIA GeForce

Targa Visionary PC+, Windows XP, AMDA Athelon XP 3000 - 2.12Ghz nVIDIA GeForce 5600

Posted on Jan 6, 2007 5:11 PM

2 replies

Jan 7, 2007 4:30 AM in response to octennial

Well, I think the problem has been cured!!!

Some further and deeper searching into this forum highlighted among the many pages a one line entry from:
'idiot rying to help' to whom I find my self deeply indebted.... and such a simple answer!

See this thread and the entry is towards the bottom of the page:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=3377407

If anyone comes across the same problem as I have described, simply go to the QuickTime Properties and change it to run in Windows 2000 and not Windows XP.

I hope Apple (or MS) will take notice of this and perhaps look at a fix - it is so straighforward!

Sincere thanks to 'idiot trying to help'!!!

QuickTime Error # -2096

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.